1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DR Hi Beams - Good, but...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ezmar, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So just for Kicks, (And because there was a Black Friday week sale at BassStringsOnline.com :smug:) I decided to try out some Hi Beams, changing from my usual Rotos, which I love every inch of. So I just strung it up, and although it sounds nice and fresh compared to my Dead Rotos, I can tell a bit of difference. They feel nice, they sound great, although I haven't tested them through a *real* amp, and that's all well and good. But they don't feel as "Right" as the Rotos do. I think this is a little more than Not being used to them, because there's nothing that puts me off about them, they just don't feel as nice and at home to me. I think part of that is the "Scooped" sound they're supposed to have, which I guessed I wouldn't be crazy about. I like the mids of the Rotos.

I do like the feel a little, though, I guess my Ideal string would sound EXACTLY like the Rotos, but the feel would split the difference between the Rotos and the Hi Beams. I like some of the feel of the Rotosounds, but the more vibrational response of the Hi Beams is kind of cool, if maybe a bit more than I'd like.

All in all, I LOVE the Hi Beams, but somehow I still feel like the Rotosounds are more *My* string, if that makes any sense. There's NOTHING I dislike about the Hi Beams (So Far, I literally just put them on) but the Rotos just seem right to me, as far as how I play, and the sound I want to get.

That said, the strings have a MONSTER slap sound.

2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

The Roto's cannot be "your string" cause they are "my string"....Just be a proper fanboy and put some more of em' Roto's on yer bass man! Geezzzz....Seriously though I understand what your saying. I like em' both myself but the Roto's are like Mom's homemade apple pie!

3. Ezmar

Ezmar

An interesting thing I'm noticing.

When I put my last set of Rotos on, I noticed that my strings would Flare sharp very easily when I played hard, and I'm not noticing anything like that with the Hi Beams. Although I don't really think it's necessarily the strings themselves, since I don't believe it occurred with previous Roto sets.

Either way, it's nice to have my open strings stay in tune when I'm strummin' like a Mofo.

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Being your a Roto fan, do you feel it is hard on your frets? One of the very first sets of strings I put on were Roto's. Been around forever. But I feel they don't last as long as Hi Beams. At this time they are not my string of choice but a great string for many. I remember reading Cris the bassist from Yes, use to bring in his Ric for fret repair often. So much he stated the company would do whatever it can to sway people away from using Roto's. Just asking if you do have a fret problem with them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ezmar

Ezmar

I've never run into a fret wear problem, and I've used them for several years now. I'm sure it happens faster than with non Stainless strings, but I don't really think it's a big issue. It may have been back in the day, but materials and construction of both strings and fret wire are probably greatly improved. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although It's possible that I haven't played for long enough to warrant any sort of fret work.

But I used them for years on a cheap crappy Squier that I played VERY often, and I ran into absolutely no noticeable fret wear, so I imagine that fret wire is probably vastly improved from the early 70s. Purely speculation on my part, but in my (Admittedly limited) experience, fret wear isn't something you need to be concerned about for quite some time. Some of the other guys here can feel free to correct me on this.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Hi Beams are my string of choice and EB Super slinky's when I'm broke.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

In my experience, comparing Rotosounds to Hi-Beams is a little like comparing kiwi fruit to kumquats. Different construction methods, different feel, different tonal profile, dictates different application(s). :meh:

I use a set of Hi-Beams on my Carvin SB5000 J-style five-string - but I don't use that instrument for anything like rock music: with the Hi-Beams, it's much too clean and refined sounding. I use it mostly for stuff like urban contemporary, house, smooth jazz, funk, Nu-R&B, etc.

AFAIC, Rotosounds are tailor-made for rawk - and whenever I've played 'em, that's just how I've used 'em. YMMV, etc.

MM

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I went the opposite way...used Rotos for 20 years (with the odd string in there now and again) but when I tried HiBeams, they were "my" string right away.

10. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Ezmar, What Roto's were you using. I'm interested in steels with more mid than hi-beams.

11. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Swing 66 is the set he's taking about. Hex core with a little more "tension" so plan accordingly if you try them. They have a push in the mids and more controllable lows than highbeams. and you hear just about every interaction with the frets more with Swing66. Great for the grindy thing. Just listen to Rush. That's that tone.

12. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

hmmm... Doesn't sound bad. I might give them a shot but the tension kinda puts me off a bit. Not a deal killer though. I like a lot of low and low mid in my sound and a fair amount of fret clank. Not a lot, but enough to give it a little bit of grind. I also like the flexibility of my hi-beams though. don't need it, just like it.

13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Your right. They are the one's I was talking about. As far as the original post the Fat Beams may be something of interest if you don't want a very scooped mid.

14. awamori

awamori

I've never found the Roto 66's to be my cup of tea when it comes to rounds. Just way too aggressive in highs/mids and they lack low end punch IMHO. Also I prefer the smoother texture of the DR SS strings than the Rotos.

15. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I've had fun with Lo Riders and Neons, but unfortunately nothing rocks quite like Rotosounds. They lose some of their brightness very quickly, and they are a bit harder on frets, but they have a very distinct voice and that clank and grind is beautiful through a good amp.