Dr J Sparrow bass driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KlystronNoir, Dec 14, 2013.

1. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

I have heard very little about this pedal. But I'm really curious to hear what people make of it. Anyone tried one?

2. makanudo

makanudo

It's a copy of the BDDI as far as I know. There area couple videos on youtube.

3. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Saw one really good video and it seemed like a good unit. Really good sounds and very versatile. £100 less than the sansamp and does pretty much the same job.
    I would use a DI as an always on pedal so build quality a side there is still not reason to buy the Dr J over a Behringer BDI21.

4. easye

easye

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Curt Mangan Strings, Luther Lee Pickups
    I have 2. I use one on my electric and one on my upright. on the upright for rockablilly and roots music blues ect, it is awesome. and on electric I like the sound better than the sansamp... to be honest they sound nothing alike. I had the sansamp and sold it after I tried the sparrow. I love this pedal. no doubt the sansamp is built better but the sparrow sounds better to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Swift713

Swift713

So what was the difference? Was the sparrow less scooped? Was the drive different? Is it less clacky?

7. mexibass

mexibass

Hey man, what I coincidence, I just found about this little pedal. I'm building an alternate and smaller pedalboard, I got the sansamp deluxe on the main one and I love its tone, but I was thinking that having a second one for the smaller board would be too much money invested on it, so, now I might give this one a try. I wanted to ask you though, when you say the sansamp is better built, what you mean? Is the sparrow fragile? Is it Chinese made?

What do you like about its tone better than the sansamp? Thanks a lot for the input!

8. easye

easye

Disclosures:
    Yes the sparrow is made in China and I am sure the quality of the components are less than the sans amp. But the sans amp always had a like compression or something to it I did not like. I think u will be very pleased with the sparrow

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Please answer this question.

10. easye

easye

Disclosures:
    More transparent

11. basslifter

basslifter

I heard some nice demos of it but went.with the mxr m80. Still curious though....

12. mexibass

mexibass

Sweet. Thanks dude!

13. Daz JP

Daz JP

I got a Sparrow today - and actually use it for both Bass and Guitar. So far loving the Harmonics knob that gives you clank on the bass, and the very subtle manipulation of Mix and Drive that gives you warmth to low notes and drive to power chords - but dig in and you get growl on the low notes and some really nice overdriven sustain on arpeggiated noodles.