DR Legend flat wound string problem??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davidchampoux, Jan 9, 2014.

1. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

I received a set of these strings, bought over eBay.

Look at the E string...

It's dead, uneven wound, etc... I ask for a replacement and they sent another E string that is exactly the same!

Are all DR Legend E strings wound that way, or am I just out of luck?

Attached Files:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I would only be concerned about tone, not appearance. If the string is indeed dead-sounding, then sure, that's a problem, and multiple occurrences would make me stay away from that brand.

I have a set of DR Legend flats at home, still unopened. I'll take a look tonight, and maybe I'll pop 'em on a bass to hear how they sound. The Fender flats currently on my "flats P-bass" are nicely broken in, but hey, I can keep 'em around and reinstall them later.

3. davidchampoux

Thanks for your comment. I contacted DR, they will send me a new set when available (they are out of these at the moment (!) )...

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I purchased a new set of DR flats a couple years ago, and the A string was sounding very different than the rest of the strings .. I contacted DR and they also sent me a new one (great customer service) ... shortly after that, the rest of the strings started to balance out, and they all came in nicely together ... DR Legend flats are a very 'percussive' flat, that I eventually moved away from, but there are some here that really like them ... maybe give them a little time to balance out ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved to Strings.

I didn't notice this on the 5 string set I have, but can look at it again once I find it. They weren't ideal for my current use, so they're sitting in the land of unused strings.

7. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

Media:
    Sounds like "something" is getting recalibrated...

8. Fuzzbass

:D

9. Fuzzbass

I just restrung my "flats" bass (Sadowsky P5) from Fenders to Legends. First thing I noticed: I love the gold silks! Gold goes much better with CAR than the Fender green, although the green was a nice match for the mint guard.

Second thing I noticed: the B and E strings looked smoothly wound, no spiral effect.

Third thing (once the bass was strung): I love the tone of these flats.

Fourth: the B string is probably the nicest I've heard on a set of flats. So, merci Monsieur Champoux for prompting me to switch! :)

10. davidchampoux

Fuzzbass: ;)

I want to try them, coming from the Fender's, just like you... Like you, I like the gold silk a lot! Though the green Fender looked nice on my Jade Pearl/Maple P Bass! So does the Gold...

Can't wait to have a 'working' set!!! :hyper::hyper::bassist::bassist:

11. davidchampoux

Just received a replacement set from DR...

While the E string has a more even feel, it still sounds completely dead. Unmatched with the 3 other strings.

I'm done with DR strings!

Attached Files:

12. jessicabass

jessicabass

I have read on more than one occasion that the E is dead till the rest catch up after a good breaking in period.
    Just my 2 cents

13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I recently had the exact same experience with these strings. The E string was dead, and had a slightly "rough" feel in places.

I also found the sound of the whole set to be much deader than marketing claims would have you believe. I was looking for a bright flat, and this wasn't it. In the end, I went back to Rotos.

14. Fuzzbass

As noted above I recently put a set of 5 string Legend flats on a bass. The strings are very well balanced, including the B and the E. I like the tone overall, but I agree, they are definitely NOT bright flats. The Fenders I had on before were brighter, and so were the TI Jazz flats I had on before that. I haven't tried Roto flats, but I should... not that I have to have bright flats, but I'm still trying to find my favorites.

P.S. David, I'm sorry that your third E still did not work.