1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DR Legend flat wound string problem??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davidchampoux, Jan 9, 2014.

1. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

I received a set of these strings, bought over eBay.

Look at the E string...

It's dead, uneven wound, etc... I ask for a replacement and they sent another E string that is exactly the same!

Are all DR Legend E strings wound that way, or am I just out of luck?

Attached Files:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I would only be concerned about tone, not appearance. If the string is indeed dead-sounding, then sure, that's a problem, and multiple occurrences would make me stay away from that brand.

I have a set of DR Legend flats at home, still unopened. I'll take a look tonight, and maybe I'll pop 'em on a bass to hear how they sound. The Fender flats currently on my "flats P-bass" are nicely broken in, but hey, I can keep 'em around and reinstall them later.
  3. davidchampoux

Thanks for your comment. I contacted DR, they will send me a new set when available (they are out of these at the moment (!) )...
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I purchased a new set of DR flats a couple years ago, and the A string was sounding very different than the rest of the strings .. I contacted DR and they also sent me a new one (great customer service) ... shortly after that, the rest of the strings started to balance out, and they all came in nicely together ... DR Legend flats are a very 'percussive' flat, that I eventually moved away from, but there are some here that really like them ... maybe give them a little time to balance out ...
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Moved to Strings.

I didn't notice this on the 5 string set I have, but can look at it again once I find it. They weren't ideal for my current use, so they're sitting in the land of unused strings.
  6. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

Sounds like "something" is getting recalibrated...
  7. Fuzzbass

:D
  8. Fuzzbass

I just restrung my "flats" bass (Sadowsky P5) from Fenders to Legends. First thing I noticed: I love the gold silks! Gold goes much better with CAR than the Fender green, although the green was a nice match for the mint guard.

Second thing I noticed: the B and E strings looked smoothly wound, no spiral effect.

Third thing (once the bass was strung): I love the tone of these flats.

Fourth: the B string is probably the nicest I've heard on a set of flats. So, merci Monsieur Champoux for prompting me to switch! :)
  9. davidchampoux

Fuzzbass: ;)

I want to try them, coming from the Fender's, just like you... Like you, I like the gold silk a lot! Though the green Fender looked nice on my Jade Pearl/Maple P Bass! So does the Gold...

Can't wait to have a 'working' set!!! :hyper::hyper::bassist::bassist:
  10. davidchampoux

Just received a replacement set from DR...

While the E string has a more even feel, it still sounds completely dead. Unmatched with the 3 other strings.

I'm done with DR strings!

Attached Files:

11. jessicabass

jessicabass

I have read on more than one occasion that the E is dead till the rest catch up after a good breaking in period.
    Just my 2 cents
  12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I recently had the exact same experience with these strings. The E string was dead, and had a slightly "rough" feel in places.

I also found the sound of the whole set to be much deader than marketing claims would have you believe. I was looking for a bright flat, and this wasn't it. In the end, I went back to Rotos.
  13. Fuzzbass

As noted above I recently put a set of 5 string Legend flats on a bass. The strings are very well balanced, including the B and the E. I like the tone overall, but I agree, they are definitely NOT bright flats. The Fenders I had on before were brighter, and so were the TI Jazz flats I had on before that. I haven't tried Roto flats, but I should... not that I have to have bright flats, but I'm still trying to find my favorites.

P.S. David, I'm sorry that your third E still did not work.