1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DR Legend Flats question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by soundtweakers, Jan 20, 2014.

1. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Just put a set 45-105 on my p bass(top loading). I've been playing round wounds for quite a bit and been settled on D'Addario nickel rounds that are a few years old. The DR is my first set of flats and so far I'm loving how it feels and how it sounds after one day of playing. It's tuned standard and I'm comfortable with the tension so far.

However, there is this thing that bothers me. The entire string feels silky smooth, but near the bridge saddle it looks almost as if the the core has been stretched and the wounding is pulled apart ever so slightly, it's not like the core is visible or anything extreme but it's definitely visible and you can definitely feel it's roughness. It stretches about an inch off of the bridge saddle and applies to all four strings.
    Is this a normal flatwound thing or did I purchase a bad pack of strings? Any advice will be greatly appreciated
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Where the strings bend the windings may separate. This does not effect the performance of the string. Of course there are other extremes but without seeing it it is hard to say for certain.

If it is just an inch and only there it is not something I would worry about. DR's support is top shelf so I would not hesitate to contact them or whomever purchased from.
  3. soundtweakers

soundtweakers

Thank you for your info.
  4. woolysock

woolysock

I have same strings on my P-bass and just had a look. Indeed about a half-inch area over the bridge saddles feels rougher than the rest of the string. But it's not noticeable when playing and I suspect the smoothing they do simply doesn't extend that far down. Strings still sound great six months in. Enjoy!