DR Legend Polished Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jswigal, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jswigal

jswigal

So, I was browsing my local music-shop and came across these strings. They were sent with an order by mistake and had no home. I just couldn't leave them all orphaned and destined for the postal service again so I purchased them. I strung up my fretless and figured I'd offer a review here since there isn't much going around about them:

Fit and finish:
    First impression was good. Standard packaging and such, but the silk winding is high quality, and gold, which to my eye gave the strings a nice "vintage" vibe. The polishing makes them as smooth as glass and you can barely make out the winding at all. From a short distance they look like solid metal wire.

First impressions/tension:
    Upon tuning them up for the first time I immediately noticed that they didn't have the normal "fresh string sound." Before plugging in I played a few notes and they sounded warm and generous in the low mids. The highs were noticeably lacking. Once amplified the low end definitely comes out, but (as was stated in the one review I found) has a pretty quick decay. The low mids are quite prevalent, but not overpowering. The highs are pretty clanky with just a little bit of glass on top. The tension is pretty middle of the road. Not as high as Rotosound 77s, but higher than Fender flats. The feel was incredibly smooth (no surprise). They were even tonally and in regard to volume.

I practiced with them for a couple hours, but couldn't quite decide if I really liked them, which is pretty normal for me when I try out new strings. I decided to leave them on for the next couple gigs to see how they sounded in the mix with the full band (country-rock, classic-country, and some random rock tunes (Prince, Chili Peppers, Tom Petty, etc...). The low mids again reigned supreme and sat pretty well, but the quick decay of the lows and lack of sparkle on top were pretty out of the ordinary for me. I still couldn't make up my mind, but I definitely didn't dislike them at this point.

I then set up for practice at home (they had roughly nine hours of play-time at this point) and couldn't get a tone I really liked. After this amount of breaking in they really dulled out. The highs were nothing but clank, and the lows were thuddy. If I were playing Motown and going for a Jamerson vibe they'd be great, but that just isn't the tone I'm aiming for.

To sum it up:
    For those of you who like medium tension, super smooth feel, a vintage look, and smooth, Motown like sound, these are great. I can't come up with a genre that could use the clanky highs, but I'm sure there's someone out there who loves that sound. In the end I've gone back to the Rotosound 77's for now. The DR Legends will just have to sit around until I land a Soul-Band/Motown type gig, or until I sell them. I paid $35.00 for the pack. Hope this is helpful to someone who might be considering these strings. Thanks for reading!

2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I got to play a set of these on a Lakland bass at a local music store. I really liked the tension and feel. They are definitely warm strings, but I thought that their tone would fit very nicely in a lot of situations. I am planning on trying a set.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Trying to get a bead on new strings - or any new gear - via an Internet forum can be so tough. Everyone's experience is a little different, there is always unexpressed subjectivity, and there's seldom any consensus.

I've read several previous remarks from users who claim that DR Legend flats are relatively high-sustain, for a flatwound. Yet the OP's experience appears to be exactly the opposite. How to evaluate?

I don't know...

MM

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Everything I've ever read on here about DR flats is completely contradictory. I've read they're bright like chromes and I've read they're all vintage thump like Labella. I've never tried them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Are they round or hex core?

7. Gorn Captain

8. Gorn Captain

I decided to try these out to see where my comments fall in the spectrum of varying DR flat opinions.... (On my fender modern player satin jazz-dual humbuckers with options for solo'd single coils)

More labella-ey vintage thump than chromes with less tension than the same gauge labellas.

Smoother than chromes, but not as smooth as labellas.

Overall....kinda underwhelming. Not particularly thumpy and not particularly well defined and punchy. I suppose I'd describe them as perfectly middle of the road flats.

The gold silks look cool though.

(for sale if anyone wants em)

9. hhirbe

hhirbe Supporting Member

Put a set on my Precision about a month ago, and agree that they're pretty warm, slight attack, middle of the road flats. Very comfortable to play, but I'll be switching back to my GHS Precision flats before too long.

10. Camaro

Camaro

How do they react to the tone control?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Well that's damned disappointing. Glad I didn't waste any $$$ on that set. Thanks to all that did.

12. hhirbe

hhirbe Supporting Member

They're not bad strings by any means, just not as snappy and percussive as what I'm looking for.

13. hhirbe

hhirbe Supporting Member

They're not bad strings by any means, just not as snappy and percussive as what I'm looking for.

14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I hated them. When I was on my serious Jamerson kick, I bought two sets for two of my P basses and strung em up. The 3rd P Bass wearing a 5yr old set of Ken Smith flats as comparison. The DR's were the stiffest and thuddiest feeling and sounding string I've tried. To me they were just as stiff as Roto's, but with a dead as a doornail thud tone. Tried em at a blues jam, then took them off the first bass and sold em. The second bass I rarely played anyway, and soon after took that bass on a trip 'back home' to Cali and left it there. Two years later when I retrieved the bass still wearing the DR's, I tried playing them and decided I still hated them. Very much the polar opposite I was expecting for the DR brand.