1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DR lo-rider low B string tension/feel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingRazor, Nov 7, 2013.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

Those of you 5-stringers and BEAD tuned 4 stringers who use lo-riders, how's the .130 B string?

I realize having a good B string is more about the bass and the setup than the string necessarily, but I wanted to see what you guys think of it and how well it pairs with a .105 E string.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

The strings themselves definitely make a difference, it is all part of the equation.

I have SS Lo Riders on my Jazz V right now and I think that the .130 B feels noticeably tighter than the other DR strings with round cores. I have also used Sun Beams, Fat Beams, and nickel Lo-Riders. While, as a whole, I like the Fat Beams best on my Jazz, I do think that the SS Lo-Rider B string is the best of the bunch...especially if you have an aggressive picking technique. They are also a very mid-forward string, which helps in cutting through a mix. I think you'll enjoy them.

3. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm already sold on the tone, but I'm kind of a freak about having balanced tension, which is why I've only used Circle K Strings for the last 3 years or so.

I wanted to branch out and try some new strings but was a little apprehensive about the imbalance in tension common in other string sets.

For instance, if you follow D'Addario's string tension chart (since they're one of the only string companies that actually publishes tension) a .130 low B string only has 34.5 pounds of tension, compared to the 40 pounds on a .105 E string.

Obviously DR strings are going to be a bit different than D'Addarios, and they might be closer in tension possibly, I don't know. Which is why I'm asking. I'm really curious how well the .130 low B on the lo-riders pairs up with their .105 E string.

4. Double Agent

Well, there is no easy answer here. I can say that it balances well in my experience, but I may not be as sensitive/perceptive to differences in string tension as another person who might say that the two strings don't belong in the same set. It's different for everyone.

For my needs, on a 34" scale 5er, I like the feel of the .130 for the B and would almost prefer the rest of the set to be a bit less tight feeling. If I were constructing the perfect set of Lo-Riders it would probably go .045 - .060 - .080 - .100 - .130. But, the .105 E isn't the main issue for me, it's the A & D strings at .085 and .065, respectively, that feel too stiff compared to the rest of the set.

Coincidentally, you can put together a custom set of strings like that if you buy from bassstringsonline.com. The site is run by a TBer and I have used them to make custom gauged sets before and it usually only runs a few bucks more than buying a standard set. I didn't do that with my last set of Lo-Riders and I wish I had, as I wound up with a blister on my index finger after my last gig which hasn't happened in years.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

That's exactly how I would do it.

Actually, I'd take it a step further and go with this set, if I could:

B .135
    E .100
    A .075
    D .055
    G .040

I can get those gauges with a set of SS Lo-Riders, but the nickels have fewer choices in gauge.

7. Double Agent

I haven't seen a .135 Lo-Rider, they typically only go to .130 when I've looked in the past. I know that you can get a Hi Beam in .135, but not sure if DR makes any other string heavier than .130. But, for Lo-Riders, I've never really felt the need to use a heavier gauge than .130 anyways. YMMV.

8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I like their Hi Beam B string more. I think the more flexible string sounds better, though you do have to reign in your technique.

9. KingRazor

KingRazor

I like very high tension strings so I can dig in with less buzz and noise. The higher the better, to a certain point.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I've tried the 4-string set of the low riders and they do feel and sound stiff. also I remember how punchy they sound. especially at lower tunings.