1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DR Lo Riders vs Circle K strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I have a 6 string pedulla with some DR Lo Riders that are about five months old and I'm thinking about restringing it. I've had D'addarios and Lo Riders on it before; I thought that the daddarios weren't anything really outstanding, but I like the DRs well enough. I would like to give a balanced tension set a try though, so I was thinking about giving Circle K a try. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Are you talking nickel Lo-Riders or steel Lo-Riders? Also what scale is your bass?

I went through this transition myself but wound up back at the steel Lo-Riders.

I had traditionally been using a 45-130 set of strings so I was using the 136 balanded CK set. For me the tension was not "tight" enough in feel. I thought about going to the 142 set but then a few other things made me change back to DR.

I had though the steel Lo-Riders felt too tight when I used the 45-130 set, so I decided to go 40-125 and I am liking that feel a lot. Has a similar flexibility to the CK on the fretting hand but better tension for heavier picking IMO.

I'll also say after having played balanced tension for almost a year, it's really not a big deal to not have it. I think a lot of what people are feeling and liking is the lack of high tension in the higher strings, but you don't necessarily have to match tension with your low strings to get a better feel.

In the end, it's always worth checking out strings for yourself. The only mistake I made was going "all in" and string all my basses with the same strings before some realities made me change back to DR.

3. Jensby design

Jensby design

Are you still thinking low tension strings on that 6? 'cuz I'm using low tension Circle K's on my 6-string I love them.
    I say give http://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ a try and if you like them give them to me ;)
    I'm using gauges .142 .118 .090 .067 .051 .039 tuned F#BEADG :rolleyes: I know not exactly balanced but no 10 lb. jump from one string to the next.

4. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    So do you get credit for every time you post their link? Wow.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

Nope, I just do it to piss you off :spit:
    No really their great strings that the OP has mentioned wanting to try.

7. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    Real mature. Your posts speak for themselves so go ahead and keep it up - no one will take you or your opinion seriously.

I know my post might have been a bit long for your attention span, but you'll notice I also told him to try them for himself. I also mentioned I used them myself for a while. You know, an actual post with possibly useful information unlike your shilling link posts.

Have a good one!

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Me, Ive tried both and while Circle K's are really nice strings, I am still using the low riders and or the Marcus Miller low beams. The Circle K's are nice and I think you have more options on your specified string, but the quality, playability and sound/tone of the DR strings are a lot better than any other sting out there, including Circle K. This is of course ALL MY opinion. DR will be my go to for a long time to come. I just threw a set of nickel Fenders on my P and I do like them but I will go back to DR after these are done. Plus, with Circle K, it took almost three weeks, if not longer if I remember correctly, to get the set I ordered in the mail. I dont know if its different now or if theyve still got that same kind of wait time, but me, I dont dig waiting that long for a set of strings.

9. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    Maybe it's us Chicago-area people that have those wait times Greg. :)

That is one of the reasons I transitioned away, but the more important reason was I actually like the sound of the DR's better.

10. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Circle K's are certainly worth a look see, I think they have a much better sounding B-string than the DR's. They are very bright and very flexible, if that's what you are into, you should definitely give them a shot.

11. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    I actually thought they were too bright, and that's coming from a long-time XL user. The flexibility is there, no doubt.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You can make a balanced tension set of DR's at Bass Strings Online, although DR's are already pretty balanced and don't really need a 'special' balanced set. It's personal preference really, and I do prefer a heavier B string.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/DR-Strings_c_165.html

13. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

I normally use loriders ss heavy set with a 115 E string. I used a set of circle k balanced tension 115 ss strings and didn't really notice a whole lot of difference. Sonically it's hard to tell since I went from broken in DRs to new Circle Ks then vice versa but I was satisfied with the tone from both. Feel wise I think they were comparable. The DRs might be a tad fatter sounding but I'd use either set and be just fine with them. My main concern with a string is high tension and not so much tone since that changes so much with a round anyway. I tend to use strings for 2 or 3 months max, once the top end is gone they're done for me.