1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DR Longnecks on a RB5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punchdrunk, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Best strings for an RB5

1. DR Longnecks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DR Sunbeams

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. DR Fatbeams

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. DR DDT

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Sell the sucker and buy a Zon/Modulus

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Has anyone used these on a Roscoe Beck V? What were your thoughts? I had an RB5 back in the day, and think I was stringing it with DR Longnecks (cant rightfully recall). What I can remember is how great and clear the B sounded. You could hear the coil of the string, which is really intoxicating for me. So I recently got another RBV. It arrived strung with some soso sounding D'Addarios, but I want the same sound I had with the previous bass. Anyone have any input or recommendations? :confused:
  2. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

I do. It's the third bass I've put them on, the others being a Schecter Elite 5 and a Yamaha. They play fine, sound fine, but for some reason they seem noticeably noisier (finger/fret noise) than on either of the other basses, and I wish they had a bit less tension for this bass. I'm debating whether it's time to swap them for the Jazz Flats...

-jb
  3. punchdrunk

Thanks for the input. I just I ordered a set of the DRs, hoping they open this bass up a wee bit more on the high end of the spectrum. Need that bite to help cut through the mix. Also hoping the mids are present. I'll report my findings/opinions.
  4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I've had my RB5 for about 15 years now. In that time I've strung that bass with only a couple if different sets of strings. Those being DR High Beams or Dean Markley Blue Steels. Both of those sets sound great on that particular bass. The B string sounds solid and they have a very clear high end. Give either set a try and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  5. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

As a newer owner of a '97 RBV this thread has got my interest. Are you guys stringing thru-bridge or thru-body? I had mine set up with extra long scale D'addarios thru-body. I've played D'addarios for the last 15 years on all my basses, are the DR's long enough to string thru-body?
  6. AGH

AGH

I hated my RBV until I strung it with TI Jazz flats. I don't have flats on all my basses, but this one just came to life for me.
  7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I string my RB5 through the body. I've been able to get a B string up to about .132 or .135 through that string ferrule and the bridge plate.
  8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

yes. DRs have a 38" wrap length. they're long enough to string-thru body on my 35" scale 5'er.
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

to break it down
    DR long necks - tapered SS on hex core
    DR sunbeams - non-tapered NPS on round core
    DR fat beams - non-tapered SS on round core
    DR DDT - heavy gauge for drop tunings.

if you don't like tapered strings, they have their low-riders, which are either SS or NPS on a hex core. you could get a 5-string set of the lowriders and a single B in your preferred gauge and see which one you prefer. also, the taper on the longnecks is 3" long, so stringing thru the body is recommended. i hope some of this helps.
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Sunbeams are NPS on round core, Hi Beams are SS on a round core.
  11. punchdrunk

Definitely. I appreciate the input. I've been a DR user for many years with my four strings. Hoping the tapered B on the LNs does a better job of the string to string consistency thing that I'm looking for than the Daddarrios that it's currently sporting.
    Should get a set in the mail on tues. I'll report my thoughts after I've broken them in a bit.
  12. punchdrunk

That is accurate.

13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

yeah, mistyped that one. thanks for the correction.

edited post to correct information.
  14. Root 5

Root 5

Didja buy it on Ebay? Teal green, described as a "Limited Edition of 50?"
  15. punchdrunk

Uh hell no. Its shoreline gold and I acquired it right here on TB.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I played RB5s for a decade or so... one in teal, another in gold. Such fantastic basses, but I prefer actives and have limited space for gear so I had to let 'em go. :(

Anyway, I liked most strings I tried on 'em! Props to TI flats, Rotosound RS-66, Ken Smith Tapercore, DR Lo Riders.

Special note: I also love LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels. I learned about those because someone pointed me to an article that said they are Roscoe Beck's favorite string (or were, back when I had the RB5s). They sounded great on the RB5, and I also love 'em on my actives. They have the harmonically rich response of steels, but aren't quite as bright on top as Roto RS-66es or Hi Beams.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

Just saw that you don't have DR Lo Riders in your poll. The SS Lo Riders are my favorite DR string. I believe Lo Riders are also offered in nickel if SS is not your thing.
  18. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Ha... while it it IS teal green, no it was not the "limited edition" ebay RBV that you started a thread about. I thought that ebay listing was comedy! I bought mine locally on CL. Near mint condition, there was still plastic around the knobs and the original strings were still on it after almost 16 years. It had been stored away untouched for the past 8 years, maybe played a handful of times before it was put away.

I got it for a steal too. The guy didnt know what it was except for the model name. :bassist:
  19. punchdrunk

Nice score!
  20. punchdrunk

So after playing the Longnecks for a while on my Roscoe Beck, I gotta say that I don't think I'm a fan. I love a full spectrum sound, and these things sound very mid shy and relatively thin compared to the stock D'addarios that came with the bass. I'm gonna try something different. In other news I also ordered some Sunbeams for my 77 p/j after having had it strung with medium D'addario XL's, and I gotta say that my findings are consistent. Very mid shy and anemic compared to the XL's.
    I think I'm done with DR's, the decade old love affair has ended. I need a full spectrum pronounced and even string. Any recommendations?