DR Neon Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by foxxiroxx, Feb 14, 2013.

1. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I have a set of the neon green. Since I normally use HiBeams, I notice a difference in tone. They seem a little "duller" in tone, not a whole lot, but a little. I had them on for a while and didnt notice the coating wear off. Oh and for that bass I would get the green or yellow.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Don't do it please !!!! we have to make these strings go away and the same with microwave french fries.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Never used them myself, but Yellow!!!!
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Green or orange

Pink or yellow too!

Or all!
  6. mogpipe

mogpipe

Neons are awesome. Was my string of choice before I discovered Chromes. That bass needs yellow i believe,
    ( I have a degree in Fine Arts y'know ). Still got a pair of High Beams on one bass. When they're done, Neons will go on that one. But yeah, yellow!
  7. justjazz

justjazz

...to sport a beautiful set of DR Neon greens!

I've got a set of them on my 5 string, and the lower 3 strings sound like I'm playing a piano. (And considering that I've been playing a grand piano since I was a wee lad of 5, I know whereof I speak.

Happy V.D., m'lady!
  8. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have a set. They are nice for coated strings. I hate elixer strings they feel slimey. Drs are good they have lasted a year on my p bass and still sound fairly bright. but the coating is starting to come off so its probably time for a new set soon.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Please help stop this madness sir you have the power to save lives here.
  11. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Even the Black ones :(
    I agree about the fries though.
  12. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

I love all the replies! Hmmm, some great suggestions, OH! btw - I didn't know they made white or blue, I bet those are awesome! My green Fernandez (in the picture) needs strings the worst ..... so I think yellow - or that great multi colored set.

Hey what's so wrong about microwave french fries? lol. :)
  13. bcplemons

bcplemons Supporting Member

I tried the green ones on an all black Lakland at one point and couldn't get past the loose feel somewhat full tone. I had been using primarily Lo Riders at the time so the feel was the biggest down fall for me. They looked cool as hell, though.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

I have no experience with coated strings, but yellow would be pretty cool on that bass.
  15. hotbass57

hotbass57

Love coated using Silver Stars on jbass, GHS infinity Red on pbass, set of Black Beauties on waiting. Really liking the GHS nice even tone, great tension medium. Just ordered 2 more sets from bassstringsonline. $8 per set crazy deal.
  16. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

that made me burst out laughing!
  17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I used to use the black ones and loved the sound and feel despite the wear they'd display. They've "improved" the formula and now the color lasts longer but the sound isn't consistent between the strings and overall duller. Could just be me, but that's my experience. I have no idea if the neon strings suffer the same fate.
  18. bassyogi

bassyogi

If you don't gig with black lights and just want a colored string, Aurora has a bunch of different colors that DR doesn't offer. I felt the tension was a little softer than DR neons though. I cannot comment on durability/longevity since I've only gigged with them once since putting them on. www.stringsbyaurora.com
  19. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I used the black ones on my p bass. They sound like a set of hi-beams once you've worn the "new" off of them. Hi-Beams to me, are useless for the first few hours of playing. Once they get that zing off them and settle down they are awesome strings for a long while. The black beauties are that way out of the box, but they keep that sound FOREVER. I have a set I'm wanting to take off for a heavier guage, but they still sound new after almost a year. Im not exclusively playing that bass, but I play it quite a bit.
  20. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

My bad, the blue are not Neons, just the regular ExtraLifes so they won't glow under black lights. They did just come out with Neon White though!