DR Neon's - What is your experience?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by feelinlow, Sep 10, 2013.

1. feelinlow

feelinlow Supporting Member

Thinking about getting a set of DR White Neon's. From what I understand is they also have the K3 coating. Do these strings feel "sticky" or "grabby"? I have heard that they are not as smooth as non-coated strings. What is your experience?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They feel sticky and grabby to me and they burn my fingers if I slide down the string. I'm not a fan, though many others are.

3. feelinlow

feelinlow Supporting Member

The older Black Beauties did that when I had them but I was hoping the new K3 coating was different.

4. rtslinger

rtslinger

Not my finding at all never had a sticky grabby problem with them? Bright and really cut through the mix when mine are dead I will buy them again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aprod

aprod

The worst strings I ever purchased. Did not last through a 4 hour gig, dead, dead, dead. I bought 3 packs and all died quickly.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I got a set of orange neons for fun to put on my orange fretless jazz bass.

Been using them on a track in the studio they have that nice round sound though not quite as zingy as non coated. They do feel a little grabby, I have to really push through on some of the slides to hit the intonation right. They'll build up some calluses for sure.

If I used rounds all the time instead of just as an occasional flavor I would try something else because of the feel.

The sound is fine I think unless you want super bright zing. I can't speak to how long they last, I've had a set on for a month but I'm not gigging every night either.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Do the white ones fluoresce under blue light?

9. lustersilk

lustersilk

Play them on a squire pbass. One of our non-profits is sponsered by DR (very cool - thank you DR). I'm not a huge fan of the neons, a little too loose compared with what I like. Strings are a very personal item, imho, and literally - different strokes for different folks.

10. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I tried a set of the red devils... Looked fantastic.. But they IMO have a dull top end out of the box.. I like a rotosound entwhistle/ chris squire type of tone. And was disappointed enough to stop using them..

11. hotbass57

hotbass57

Have Black Beauties on my p and j. They are a little dark on the p and really snappy on the j. Same size gauge on both 45-105. They do feel sticky but wears off. I haven't had the burns and like being able to slide. I played flats for quite a few years. I guess that why I like these. I had a set last almost 9 months before I replaced with another set of BB's. I would buy one set and try them first, they are a different breed.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    yup!

[​IMG]

13. d_alexthegreat

d_alexthegreat

I had a set of pink neons and they were slightly rougher than normal strings. They had a unique "wah" (for a lack of better description) sound. Not that bright of a tone, yet very popping to the eye. They lasted a month or so without getting chipped at the paint. It all comes down to what you like though. If you don't mind sparing a set of strings and a slight tone change, I would suggest to try them once.

14. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Ugh. I tried 4 times to like them. They were available at a local shop while touring the Bahamas. They are great to look at.

They did not feel sticky like SR2000's. They felt smoother to me because of the coating. But they did not last long at all. And when they go bad, it's the most horrid sound I've ever heard from dead strings.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Did you follow the installation process appropriately? Cutting and bending before inserting into the tuning post? Sounds like the windings slipped from the core.

16. droo46

droo46

I've had a few sets of DR Neons and I've liked them alright. The only downside I could find is that rapid sliding has a tendency to burn your fingers. I haven't found them to be sticky or short lasting.

Here they are on my Ibanez ATK:

17. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Here' I just uploaded a tune using an almost new set. Pardon the sloppy playing but this will give you an idea of the brightness level of these strings and you can hear me not quite making it up to pitch on the melody slides which I blame on me being used to smooth flats. Something about a good craftsman *always* blames his tools is apropos here, lol...

They are on a fretless as I mentioned before, this one...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    They dont really glow like this do they?

19. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    I've been using green Neons for the past almost 2 years now, and I LOVE them. They sound awesome (the sound I always had in my head), feel great (no stickiness, low tension), last a LONG time, and are of course, visually stunning.

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

20. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    If you put them under black light, they sure do. :D

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

21. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

They look awesome, but they feel "grabby", and I kind of think they have a feel like the string is rolling under my fingertips. I really don't think I will use them again unless I find myself in a situation where I need really awesome looking strings.