1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Sep 25, 2007.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Albums:
    Well fellas I got the Cosmichorus. Let's just say that this thing is one wild ride. From the looks and the company you probably knew this wasn't your average chorus pedal. It isn't.

Here's the one I have (you get to pick the finish at no extra cost)

[​IMG]

Features -

Light/Dark knob - You can choose either a trebly bright sound or a dark thick and deep sound. Only problem is that with the dark setting there is a noticeable volume increase.

Gravity - This is more or less the depth knob. But if you get close to maxing, it can sound more like a flanger. This knob does different stuff with the dark and light setting. The more I mess with it, the more i realize i have no idea what else i would call it other than gravity.

Slow/Fast - You can have either a Fast chorus or a slow one.

Speed - The Slow/Fast knob correlates with this. It is the Speed of the chorus. With either setting you can get Super Slow or Super Fast. Just more extreme with a Fast and Maxed or Slow and Min settings.

Group of People/One Person - The Group is for the typical Chorused sound. The single is for a thin chorus sound. This also can do Dolphin noises. Yes, that's right, DOLPHIN NOISES. If you listen to the clips on the website they have space dolphin noises as one, this is how you get it.

Dimension - I really can't explain what this thing does. It's correlated with the Group/Single knob but it also interacts with the Gravity knob. The best way to describe this knob is just that it makes things more wild. The more dimension, the wilder things are. It can make the chorus flange some, it can also do the dolphin thing, and it can also just thicken up and add depth to the chorus.

Overall - This thing is really wierd. Which makes it a perfect fit for my pedalboard. The standard chorus sound is thick, lush, and deep and the other sounds I can get are usable and fun as well. The only complaints i have are that the dark setting gives a noticeable volume boost, and the light setting can have a little noise (sometimes it's slightly noticeable, most times it's not). It's not enough to be a deal breaker. There is no manual so you just gotta figure it out yourself. If you're a tweaker, this is a great chorus for you.

Rating - :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::meh: 4/5

I'll try to post clips later.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

clips please :)

also do you buy it direct from them?

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

One word: WHOA. :eek:

And I haven't even heard the clips yet.

I'm looking forward to your samples! :D

4. johans

yeap :) samples please haha

anyway .. out of curiosity .. I LOVED and FREAKED OUT hearing the dolphin thingy ..

man .. you can bring your chorus down the sea to lure some dolphins ashore .. :smug:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johans

hmm after browsing around, their pedals paint and design are really RETRO in some way ..

now i am thinking .. digger .. space invasion etc =) when we still use large floppy disks haha :hyper:

7. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    hopefully i'll get clips up tonight. and yes i did buy it direct from them. really nice dude, it took about 1 month since they are handpainted and handmade by 1 dude.

8. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

thanks for the review mark! how do you compare it to the analogman one?

9. johans

when i had my H2O Chorus back then, i can get the lushness but not as much as this .. so this is definitely a worth trying :) at a higher price tag :hyper:

10. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    the analogman was great especially with the deep switch. if you're looking for thick (deep switch) standard chorusing with no noise, than it's perfect. the cosmichorus is a little wilder and is more of a chorus/flange/space dolphin noise generator.

11. johans

hey mark,

i sure very interested in hearing your bass sample doing 'space dolphinians' :)

12. johans

actually i thought of trying their SDD :) seems handy to have light chorus on with the delay..

13. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    the one review here on TB on the Sunny Day delay wasn't too positive. It said it had some noise and that the owner was returning it.:meh:

14. johans

i am still curious to try one out though :) do you know how's their return policy on the custom pedals Mark?

by the way, does your cosmicchorus has any noticeable hiss?

i mean if its just a low hiss, many pedals has them even some random EHX .. so might be understandable on my end, unless it does affect recording a lot ..

15. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    i don't know what his return policy is, im sure if you emailed him he'd let you know. there is some slight hiss on the Light setting of the cosmichorus.

16. johans

yeap..

i shoot Ryan and email and this was his reply :)

"We did used to have an issue with the SDD being hissy...it had a level of white noise in the background when you turned it on... but I'm happy to say we solved that problem over a month ago. We redesigned the input and output sections of the SDD and took away all the hiss, it's now a very quiet pedal that doesn't alter your tone and doesn't add any noise."

also .. 7 day money-back guarantee :)

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    Mark – is the hiss enough that you are considering returning it? If you do send it back and want to try a great sounding Chorus pedal...try the TC Electronic SCF Stereo Chorus/Flanger...I've been using this one for the last month or so and have really fallen in love with it. very quiet and versitle.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!
    WE WANT CLIPS!

please

;)

19. johans

clips please Mark :smug::hyper:

20. markjazzbassist

Albums:
    SO SORRY GUYS. i'm on the road for 3 weeks and don't have the pedal with me (just doing the Pop thing, Bass and a DI). When I get back I'll do clips, I promise.

Sorry to leave you hanging.

21. Gubna

Gubna