DR String user's, Please step in.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IZE, Oct 26, 2012.

1. IZE

IZE

Just wondering what's the longest you had a set on till you had to change them. I put on a set of Hi-Beams in April, now it's 7 month's later and I need to change them. Great sting's tho.
    Now I'm thinking of putting on a set of the DR Neon's now.
    What color would look good on a black and rosewood?:bassist:

2. BWB

BWB

One week. I broke 2 of them, pulled the other 2 off, and said never again. Those are 2 of the approximately 5 strings I have broken in 30+ years on the bass.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I don't remember exactly, but I had them on for a long time. The only reason I changed is I had gotten some flatwounds. Hi-Beams are the only DR string I've tried so far, but I love them. In regards to your color question, I think the green would look good. I thought about putting those on my black Gibson Thunderbird.

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

I have been using DR's since the early 90's and never broken one. Well, I did have a B string break once when I was putting it on, they replaced that set with 2 sets, I was happy. The coated DR's are great strings, I have used them in the past. I guess I like to live in the past though as I am pretty happy with my FatBeams and SunBeams, they last forever compared to other uncoated strings and they sound great.

On a black and rosewood bass, you have your pick as they would all look pretty awesome. Personally, I would go with either the pink or the green but, YMMV...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fearceol

fearceol

I use DR Sunbeams. I think I get around six to seven months out of them before I feel the need to change.

Never had any break on me.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

8. stiles72

stiles72

I use DR Black Beauties on all but one of my T-birds, and I leave them on until they break. The older they get, the better the sound IMO. E & A strings usually last me about 6-7 months before they break, and D & G strings last me forever. I order extra individual E's from my local shope anytime I buy a new set of 4.

9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Not long but just because I love to experiment with strings and different gauges. However, I've found that DR retain a great sound as long as I've had them on. Even if that 'first 5 minute zing' is gone the sound after that is still beautiful.

10. logans59

logans59

I've had a set of DR HI-Beams on my aerodyne for over 2 years, but i play fairly softly finger-style

11. IZE

IZE

Yea...I thought so, 7 month's is a long time but the last few month's these string's sounded great for what I play. For the first 2 month's I had alot of finger noise and overtone. Now the string's are getting stiff like it's getting harder to bend the string. So I thought to try some Sunbeams/Neons/BB or Cool Blue's, all the same string as I understand it.

12. hotbass57

hotbass57

Black Beauties currently. Had a set of Sunbeams on for 6 months.

13. 4001

I used DR Hi Beams for a few years when I was having issues with dead strings from Rotosound. The strings sounded good and lasted quite a long time but I switched back to Rotosound when I felt confident that those dead string issues would be over. The DR's were good but didn't have that "sound" that Rotosound strings have.

14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The coated strings sound very different than Hi-Beams to my ear.
    Black Beauties and Neons have more thunk and less sizzle.
    Depends on what you want.

I vote Orange strings for your Black bass on Halloween.

15. portlandguy

portlandguy

I use DR Sunbeams usually and sometimes HiBeams - I keep both on for 6 months to a year. I play quite often but do not have a hard attack - kind of a smooth player!

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I use them for a month, maybe 2 if I am feeling cheap, but by 3 months I have to change them. I like fresh strings, they bring a lot more life out of a bass as far as I am concerned.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I used to swear by the DR coated strings. Last few sets I've gotten were the K2 formula strings, and not a one set was without problem strings; one set had one dead string out of the 5, and within a couple of weeks of light playing now has 3 dead strings with another dying.

18. IZE

IZE

That's just not my style tho. I guess I'm hard on my sting's and don't use a pick.
    My style is a cross between Geezer Butler and Steve Harris along with bending string's, hammer on's, pull off's and and punching the body of the bass.:bassist:

19. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

On my passive basses I wait until they break, they get better with age for that vintage tone. On my active basses I change when they lose their crispy tone so that I can retain the hifi sound.

20. Pupiit

Pupiit

I've only ever had one set break, some legend flats, but I think that was because I put the on wrong. Other than that, I've never had any break I get about 5 months out of the coated strings, and about 3 1/2 out of the non-coated ones. I play black beauties and sunbeams.

21. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work