DR Strings? 2 separate problems!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mp40smg, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mp40smg

mp40smg

All,
    Is this just me or are these known DR specific problems?

Problem 1.

Dr Sunbeams. putting low b on. Sized up. cut. Put string into hole of tuner, start to wind. Got one wind on and the string gives, breaks/ unwraps at @ 1.5 winds. String is useless.

Contacted DR, no response through customer support on their site.

Problem 2. had a set of long scale low riders (taper cores). Installed onto Modulus 6 string. C string fine, G string fine, D string weird overtones. A, E and B completely unusable past @ 7th fret. getting bizarre steel drum like noises. Like a bell, overtones all over the place. Brought to competent luthier to see if I had done something wrong and to set up. Nope. Luthier has same problem. Can not fix, the only fix is a new set of strings.
    Unfortunately, he only has DR in stock. So now the fix is $40 for a set of new strings, plus of course the labor already put in to set up intonate the un-intonatable brand new strings!

Anybody???
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm a long time DR user. To answer your questions:

1) Unfortunately, that is user error. The 'Beam' strings (Sunbeam, Hi Beam, Fat Beam) strings are unusual in that they are wound on a round core. As the instructions indicate in the packagine, you MUST put a hard crimp in the string (i.e., a right angle bend) prior to cutting them or they have a relatively high probability of unwinding. No problem if you crimp.

2) For some reason, the particular DR strings with the exposed/tapered core get very little love, and there have been a number of issues reported on that set on this site through the years.

The Lo Rider (steels or nickels) are a more typical hex core design, and don't require any special bending or whatever, and you might try a set of those. A bit tighter tension than the 'Beam' strings, rougher feel, more upper mid grind.
  3. stflbn

stflbn

I always crimp/bend at a right angle no matter what the string brand is... I just have no trust.
  4. mp40smg

mp40smg

the string was brought up to the A string post, kinked at a right angle and then snipped

That was then put into the post hole. when it got 1.5 winds around the string then came un raveled. the snipped portion was still intact in the post hole. it had appx 1 inch of good string in the post and aroudn the post then unraveling.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Then it was a rare bad string. I've installed probably 100 sets of DR Hi Beams over the years with absolutely zero issue. My guess is, if you call DR, they will send you a replacement set. Their customer service seems very good from other posts on this site. Emailing is NEVER a good way to communicate with any company if you have an issue.
  7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Agreed. Email is a very passive way to communicate and is often overlooked (not intentionally). I've heard it's better to call DR to get a quicker response.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I found DR responded quite quickly to my email after I encountered a defective Lo-Rider E string a couple weeks ago. They Fed-Ex'd an E string to me that arrived yesterday, after giving me a choice of a new string or a new set. I figured that demanding a whole set would be greedy and punitive. :D

Here is a little thread about it.
    See: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/email-dr-823008/
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Excellent! I think the email thing with large companies like DR is based a lot on when the poor guy in charge of looking through the hundreds they must get a day on a large variety of subjects actually digs into it. Might be hours, might be days, might be weeks.

Anyway, +1 in that it is a great company that makes great strings.
  10. mp40smg

mp40smg

Update.
    Rosa from DR responded. They are replacing the defective strings.
  11. CG Jones

CG Jones

I just tossed my second set of DR Lo-Rider Stainless (5 string) after the B string broke while I was winding it. Read the instructions very carefully, and there was nothing there about right-angling the string before snipping (although I did angle it before putting it in the peg).

It may be user error, but this is the only brand of strings I've ever had this problem with.

I will say that their customer service is excellent -- this tossed set was the free replacement they sent me after the B string snapped on the first set.
  12. lino

lino

Hi,

seems like a bad batch of HiBeams, because I had the exact same issue with 2 sets. After putting on the B according to the instructions (and exact same way I have done with many HiBeam sets ove rthe years) it breaks at the tuner, even before it gets to full tension.

Tried B of the second set I ordered, same thing.
    Emailed vendor (Musik Produktiv in Germany) and got 2 brand new (complete!) sets shipped, so excellent service!

However, same problem with the first new B. Tried the last one, and finally this worked!

Tried to look for indications of production batches on the package. The bad batches all had a similar stamp on the inside (starting with a PC symbol, then ARACELI-F), while the good batch had a different one (starting with a smiley, then ARACELI-F). To me this looks like a material issue with the core.

Never had this type of issue with HiBeams before.

Alain
  13. Gladowsky

Gladowsky Supporting Member

Different string set but same problem: Last night I put on a set of Fat-Beams (MM5-130). I kinked the string and snipped it, then proceeded to wind it up. It broke. Fortunately (I thought) I've got another from a second new set. Did the same thing - came unwound as I was tightening it. I ended up re-using the old string.

I called DR this morning. They are sending two replacements. Their customer service is excellent. The person helping me said it could have been a defective batch (ordered these from Musician's Friend).
  14. cmuellemann

cmuellemann

I have been using the DR. Longhorn Taperwound bass strings for awhile now. I love the sound playability and how well they fit on my Fender 5's as taperwounds seem to work a bit better with the way Fender's string through bridges and saddles are set up these days however recently these strings have become inconsistant set to set. Maybe I've just been lucky for awhile but about a year ago I put a set of DR. Lonhorns on my Fender 5 American Standard Jazz and like the thread above mentions from the twelfth fret on they took on a disorted wobbly out of intonation sound that had me wondering if the neck on my bass went completely out. They strings were completely unplayable. I took those strings off and put on a set of Fender 8250's I had and the problem vanished. Down the road on the same bass I went back to the DR.Lonhorns thinking that the previous set I had problems with was simply a fluke. I had no problem with that set but when I put on the set after that one that nasty sound was back. The only thing that I could do to get around this problem was to yank those strings off and put yet another set of strings on. I put on another set of DR. Lonhorns because that's all I had and luckily and no problem with that set ??? I've just had this same problem happen once more on my other bass a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 on which I've been using these strings for several years now without a problem! The only thing I could get out of anyone at DR. is that maybe I'm twisiting the strings when I put them on! Hmmm. I suppose I could see possbly twisting a string here and there but not a whole set as they're all bad when this happenes. I've used these stringfor years without problems set to set but now all of a sudden I can't change a bass string? I hate to say it because you know how it is when you think you've found the string that does it for you but I'm going to be shopping for a new brand of strings for my fives. I've read about others having this same problem with these string but DR. won't admit there is anything wrong. At about $38.00 a set I can't afford to keep buying these strings just to take them off and I sure can't afford a set of strings that aren't dependable if I should have to switch one out on a job! What a shame!
  15. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

DR Longhorns? What the heck is that?
  16. BWB

BWB

All you need to do is read TB to see the endless series of quality control problems DR has had. Stay away - I got burned like many others have also.
  17. knarleybass

knarleybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    they might be slow to get back to you due to hurricane sandy
  18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Dr Long necks I am assuming.

Sorry you had this experience but it does not sound normal.

It is very easy to twist strings on thru body instruments. Half a twist is enough to do it.

They have not changed the specs on these so I don't imagine that is the problem.
  19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They are up and running!
  20. darkstorm

darkstorm

DR strings have more problems then any other I know of unfortunately. Problems get reported on the forum regular. They do have excellent customer service reported to though.
  21. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

DR strings:

Excellent strings, require a little more user care upon installation than others (as specified on the packaging!). They are hands-down the best sounding and feeling strings I've ever used.

However, the Longnecks DEFINITELY have a warble issue. Though I HAVE played a bass with a set on they sounded great. When I installed my own set they were unplayable. Not sure why.

As far as DR being more defective: No way - I had 1 DR problem in all my years of playing bass. I've had many more problems with D'Addario and Dunlop. One thing I can say is all of these companies are very happy to replace defective strings either by sending a replacement string or entire sets.