Dr Strings - Miller signature vs Lo-Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AlbertoRigoni, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, HipShot, ErnieBall
    Hello guys!
    I just uploaded this video test where I compare DR Strings Marcus Miller signature with Lo-Riders. I really like the growly mids of Lo-Riders. What do you think?
    In this video I used my new Alusonic Hybrid signature. Pics and video review coming song!
    Bass regards,

Alberto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ulo_-ob8M
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The loriders sound more lively to me, if that makes any sense.
  3. Lefty923

Lefty923

Disclosures:
    Forum Admin/Owner: Dr. Z Amplification
    Nice. You can definitely hear the difference. The Low Riders do have more of a presence, and the MM are a bit "darker".
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Lo-Riders are a beefier hex core while all the 'Beams are round core.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, HipShot, ErnieBall
    Thanks for the feedbacks guys! I think that both sets are great, still Lo-Rider have more growly mids which I love!
  7. michael_t

michael_t

I have a very similar experience, although the comparison in my case is Nickel Lo-Riders vs. Sunbeams.

I don't know about "ganky", but the Nickel Lo-Riders are definitely punchier with a bit more "bark" compared to the Sunbeams, which I would describe as "smooth and warm".

One of the first things I noticed when I switched from the Sunbeams to the Nickel Lo-Riders was how each note rang out so much clearer with the L-R when played unplugged.

Again, based on my experience, the Sunbeams have a warmer bottom with smoother top end, while the Lo-Riders are all about the low-mid punch.

The Lo-Riders are definitely stiffer, thanks to the hex-core. That's why I decided to downsize in gauges from 45-105 to 40-100 when I switched, which seemed to offset the difference in the stiffness somewhat; I (ie my fretting hand) certainly wouldn't want 45-105 for the L-R as they would be a little to hard on my 58-yr-old hand.

In terms of the texture feel, both the Sunbeams and the Nickel Lo-Riders are smoother than any other rounds I've tried, including the Fatbeams.

p.s. I had the Sunbeams on my Fender Jazz for six months. This is the fourth month with the Lo-Riders.