1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dr Strings - Miller signature vs Lo-Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AlbertoRigoni, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, HipShot, ErnieBall
    Hello guys!
    I just uploaded this video test where I compare DR Strings Marcus Miller signature with Lo-Riders. I really like the growly mids of Lo-Riders. What do you think?
    In this video I used my new Alusonic Hybrid signature. Pics and video review coming song!
    Bass regards,

Alberto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ulo_-ob8M

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    The loriders sound more lively to me, if that makes any sense.

3. Lefty923

Lefty923

Dec 7, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Disclosures:
    Forum Admin/Owner: Dr. Z Amplification
    Nice. You can definitely hear the difference. The Low Riders do have more of a presence, and the MM are a bit "darker".

4. Lo-Riders are a beefier hex core while all the 'Beams are round core.

5. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, HipShot, ErnieBall
    Thanks for the feedbacks guys! I think that both sets are great, still Lo-Rider have more growly mids which I love!

6. I have a very similar experience, although the comparison in my case is Nickel Lo-Riders vs. Sunbeams.

I don't know about "ganky", but the Nickel Lo-Riders are definitely punchier with a bit more "bark" compared to the Sunbeams, which I would describe as "smooth and warm".

One of the first things I noticed when I switched from the Sunbeams to the Nickel Lo-Riders was how each note rang out so much clearer with the L-R when played unplugged.

Again, based on my experience, the Sunbeams have a warmer bottom with smoother top end, while the Lo-Riders are all about the low-mid punch.

The Lo-Riders are definitely stiffer, thanks to the hex-core. That's why I decided to downsize in gauges from 45-105 to 40-100 when I switched, which seemed to offset the difference in the stiffness somewhat; I (ie my fretting hand) certainly wouldn't want 45-105 for the L-R as they would be a little to hard on my 58-yr-old hand.

In terms of the texture feel, both the Sunbeams and the Nickel Lo-Riders are smoother than any other rounds I've tried, including the Fatbeams.

p.s. I had the Sunbeams on my Fender Jazz for six months. This is the fourth month with the Lo-Riders.