1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DR Sunbeams - Gauge Selection

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Von Fett, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Von Fett

Von Fett

String hysteria has brought me this place. I am hopeful. I feel like this might be the end of my search.

Before making my purchase, I desire to know which set will achieve more balance (both tonally and tension-wise):

Medium-Lite (.045 .065 .080 .100)

-or-

Medium (.045 .065 .085 .105)

I spent a good while searching the forums for a thread that would answer this question, but to no avail.

-VF

2. carlis

carlis

I have been using DR Sunbeams .040-.100 for very long time. Now I have one of my 5 string bass strung with .030 High C, with .045-.105

In my opinion, .045-.105 is very nicely balanced. G and D strings are naturally associated with higher tensions, so going with thinner low strings (with less tension) might not be a wise choice. That said, this is my personal experience only – I just prefer to couple 40&60 with 80&100.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are a few pre-packaged sunbeams sets..

.040 .060 .075 .095
    .040 .060 .080 .100
    .045 .065 .080 .100
    .045 .065 .085 .105

The 40-100 / 45-105 have more of a balanced feel, while the 40-95 / 45-100 noticeably feel lighter on the E and A strings...

4. Von Fett

Von Fett

Carlis, does the lighter set feel at all wimpy to you or does it still produce a big sound?

I play mostly fingerstyle with a decently light touch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

I would go with the 105 set. Sunbeams sound great, but low tension. Your light touch will help. I've them on a Jazz that I can't even tune down a 1/2 step because the flop too much.

7. backup

backup

i second whats already said. 40-100 or 45-105. but thats just an opinion. i like flop on the higher strings. less so on the deeper ones. (it makes it difficult to play fast at neck position)

on a side note. sun beams are great strings my set is on for three months now and the tone is super warm and they play very very smooth. seem to improve with time. 45-105

i got a 40-100 reserve but im afraid they will be too floppy but then again, i love bendings

8. carlis

carlis

All I can say is that the lighter set still produces a big, warm sound to my ears – a bit thinner than its medium counterpart if you A/B test them, of course.

Sunbeams strings have a very light tension compared to other products, and the 40-100 gauge seems to have a tension "too loose" to some players, but I like the way it is easy to my fingers. Again, just preference.

btw, I got my strings from bassstringsonline.com – Jason gave me not only good price but also valuable advice when I was searching and trying different possibilities...

9. Von Fett

Von Fett

Thank you all for the feedback. I believe I will be ordering a set of the 105-45 variety.

Anyone got soundclips of a P-bass with these strings equipped?

10. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Hear ya go: http://soundcloud.com/clustermugs/sets/strings-1

11. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Okay. You're scaring me now. I just ordered a set of Sunbeams 45-105 to put on my P bass. I will be tuning down a half step to Eb. Are they really that floppy? Will I be losing tone?? :(

12. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I am running the 40-120 Sunbeams on a DJ5 five string and have to tune down a half at practice. They are great as long as you arent a person who favors overly low actions. I can't get too crazy digging in but I am not forced to barely make contact with the strings either.

Considering that the tone leaves me weak in the knees without major string clack ( DJ5/Streamliner/Dually) I think the P will be just fine.

I also have a set of 40-100 on my Jazz and it too does fine tuned down, as long as I don't get all Robert Trujillo on it. :p

Buy what you like and do a set up.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I use the 45-105 set love them.

14. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Play em nice an easy:) I don't know maybe they will be okay for you. Maybe your setup is different. I'm interested to hear your opinion after you give them a try.

15. Von Fett

Von Fett

My initial impression is that these strings rock. I've never been satisfied with the way a string sounds and feels right out of the box, but Sunbeams really hit the spot.

I've barely spent any time with them yet, but so far I do not regret my decision.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp

Neither set is tension balanced, almost all string sets are middle and/or top heavy, you may have noticed 105-45 is middle heavy. For your next set you might like to consider a custom set of single strings designed using the 'XL nickelplated roundwound long scale' chart here http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
    Consider 105 80 60 45. bassstringsonline.com is an excellent place to build a custom set.

17. backup

backup

they will mellow out in about 1-2 month of heavy playing. my current set sounds very thin and smooth. they still have a lot of upper mids but the trebly zing is gone. no piano strings

18. williamk

williamk

19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Anyone try the .040 .060 .075 .095 set on a jazz bass? I like very low action and can tolerate some buzz. Has anyone put together a good custom low tension custom set?