1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DR Sunbeams on a P-bass or J-bass: More mids than GHS Boomers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PBnJBassist, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Long story short: My GHS Boomers are on their last breath and I'm wanting to try roundcore nickel strings this time. Hearing a lot of good things about DR Sunbeams and I'm wanting to know if they have more mids than GHS Boomers - talking straight mids, not high or low mids. In fact, I'm trying to avoid that high-mid focus and want a more tamed tone.

All chime ins are welcome, but it would really be helpful for those that have used them on a P-bass, J-bass, P/J-bass. So far, I've completely converted to being a super-light gauge user of 35.55.75.95 and hearing how roundcores give more flexibility, I'm assuming a DR Sunbeam gauge of 40.60.80.100 (they don't offer 35 or 55) will have that same flexibility as my current set of Boomers.

I do a mix of finger & slap-pop for funk, blues, and a bit of soft jazz. Playing a Fender active P/J bass if that also helps.
  2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

They definitely have more mids than Boomers. The light gauge Sunbeams are very low tension, if you like flexible then you'll love the lights. I might even say that 45-105 are about like light Boomers, which I find to be very high tension.
  3. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    No idea about lighter gauges, but I really like 45-105 sunbeams on my P bass.
  4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Many thanks for the answers! Already placed an order with BSO for the "Lite-Lite" gauges (40.60.75.95). I kept thinking of whether I wanted the 100 or 95, but I'm so used to 95s now, I didn't want to let those go!
  5. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

IMO, you will be happy with DR Sunbeams. I switched from GHS Boomers to Sunbeams on my jazz bass years ago, and never went back to GHS. I also found that the Sunbeams seem to last longer, tone-wise.
  6. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

I hope they do! Had the boomers on my bass for only a week before they started dying. Mid-way through the 2nd week, it's grasping for dear life. I've even wiped them down thoroughly after each session to make sure they live on a bit longer... which was wierd for me to do since I came off of a year of playing flats about 2 months or so ago and became so used to just leaving the bass as-is after playing it. :rollno:
  7. hotbass57

hotbass57

I had a set on my pbass for 5 months. Sunbeams are an excellent choice.
  8. williamk

williamk

9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Loving the positive response these strings are getting on P-bass players! And @WilliamK: Nice! That tone is EXACTLY what I was searching for when I'm 100% on the split-coil pup on my P/J bass. Man! This is getting me excited - I can't wait until they arrive!!

:hyper::hyper::hyper:
  10. williamk

williamk

don't wanna burst your bubble but the sound is mostly in MY TALENTED FINGERS!! just kidding, but my p-bass is a pretty freakin' amazing instrument and sounds good with all strings I've tried so far, but the sunbeams are the most comfortable and favorite tension too so far.
  11. Fuzz Aldrin

Fuzz Aldrin Supporting Member

Previously I used Boomers and now I use Sunbeams. I don't know if I ever thought about them in terms of high mids or low mids. I do think they are warmer sounding, and the Boomers were definitely brighter. I like Boomers, but I love Sunbeams. Oh, and I use a passive J.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I like Sunbeams very much. They sound like no other nickels I have tried, full round tone and they feel really nice and smooth. A little more flex than hex cores.
  13. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    LowEnd4Lyfe
    I switched to Sunbeams from Boomers on my P bass. The Sun's are warmer & I enjoy the sound I get. The Boomer's growl was a lil too aggressive for my taste.
  14. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

+1
    Even within the same brand, very light strings don't have as much meat as heavier strings IMO