Dr. Tech Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 16, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

I was hunting for a cheap bass and came across a Dr. Tech brand Stingray copy. Used I found one in sunburst for around $80, but they also make them in what looks like candy red and also a dark blue. New they are pretty cheap as well. I did a little research but did not find much and even found a thread on here but it was not that helpful and the thread is pretty dead now. Anyone own, use or heard anything about these basses? I was always interested in Stingray basses however with this particular bass I know it's a cheap copy so I am not expecting that of an actual Stingray however for $80 meh...

2. petey293

petey293

I know a friend who has one. I borrowed it for a day, and for the money, it actually sounds pretty good. The playability though wasn't that great, however, it could have just needed a good setup. One thing I did notice was that the nut was actually collapsing under the weight of the strings. It's just a thin, rectangular piece of soft feeling plastic that doesn't even fully fit the slot. It didn't seem like it was dramatically affecting anything, but it was a bit disconcerting.

3. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the response. Again I was not expecting EBMM quality or even Sterling or OLP, however was just curious about 'em.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I had the candy red Dr. Tech bass for several months- I ended up selling it. For an $80 bass (it normally sells for $99- but I bought it through Overstock.com and they had a discount promo going on- the red one was $109 less 15%- so I bought it for $92). The black one is more inexpensive if I remember correctly.
    The pickup is pretty good for an inexpensive passive bass, electronics are fine. It's actually pretty decent.
    Now the bad points, the neck - mine was difficult to lower the action- I adjusted the truss rod, got the neck straight, but there was still fret buzz, I noticed the uneven frets, got that taken care of and still wasn't able to lower the action to my ideal height due to an ever so slight twist in the neck. Another issue, the finish- the pickguard scratches very easily, the beautiful metallic finish looks great but it's not sturdy at all, it had started to peel next to the neck cavity. peel and bubble away from the wood in about a half an inch area. Very strange because I never touched that area, I did a thorough scan of the bass after I had bought it and that imperfection was not there before. Only after I tuned the bass and tension was brought to the neck, it had started to peel. I didn't have the bass long enough to see if it would get any bigger though.
    Why sell the bass? Well, I love the styling, always wanted a Stingray bass but this really wasn't close- I sold it for $90 and put it towards a Sterling Sub Ray 34 which has everything I'm looking for in a bass- looks like a Ray, sounds like a Ray (okay, not quite the $2000 one but pretty darn close), and in actuality is a Ray from Sterling by Musicman. Buying these new is $285, but a used one can be had for $160 if you look hard enough. Currently there's a five string for $160 at GC.
    My advice, you get what you pay for - $80 will get you a bass that will function more as a piece of decoration and not really feel the part as in the action is not there (it does sound decent though- just not a Ray). For an additional $60 or so dollars pick up a real used Ray (Sub Ray)- You will be so much happier with it. If money's still an issue, there's always on OLP which is of better quality than the Dr. Tech. Olp basses are not that much more if you can find one. There was one in my area selling for $125 a few days ago.
    In the picture below, the one on the left is the Dr. Tech, the one on the right, a Sterling by MM Sub Stingray 34. They may look similar but certainly don't sound anything like each other.

Edit: ah yes, the nut... the nut was crooked, and a cheap piece of plastic that needs replacing. My "A" string had actually gone all the way into it- had to replace it.

5. Register to disable this ad