Dragon Skins vs. Blackbeauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Feb 3, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I was just going to buy round wound Black beauties for my fretless bass, knowing that they are plastic coated Sunbeams.

Recently I heard about Dragon skins, that they are coated Hibeams. I have to reconsider. This is for a fretless, & I want 3 distinct sounds:

1) Something that appropriates the sound of a string bass (a nice hybrid sound) using foam weatherstripping at the bridge, just the neck pickup, & careful EQing. (But it will have to be with round wounds, not flats, & of course it's a compromise, it's not going to sound just like a DB.)

2) Something like Jaco's sound on Continuum, but not exactly.

3) Something close to Marcus Miller's singing, sustaining fretless sound on a ballad. (Actually, his sound isn't drastically unlike Jaco's "Continuum" sound. I think Miller's sound is enhanced a little more with active electronics. (I am using a good external eq , no need to install an internal preamp.)

The question is, will Dragon Skins or Black Beauties get me closer to my goal of doing justice to all three sounds? My bass is a good SX knock-off of a fretless Fender jazz bass.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Dragonskins tore my fingers up. Played them about 5 minutes,and off they went. I'd never put them on a fretless.

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Will the Dragonskins chew up the polyurethane finish over my fretless neck board? If that's the case, then I can rule them out & go for the black beauties.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I use Dragon Skins on all my 4 strings. They use the same coating as Black Beauties (but clear) and I find them to have a very smooth feel. Not as smooth as nickels, and not nearly as smooth as Elixirs, but way smoother than most steels and 5000 times smoother than EB Cobalts.

Pretty much any roundwound is going to chew up your board unless you epoxy it though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Incidentally, someone sent me their old DR neons to try. Didn't experience the "rope burn" effect. Markedly less harsh than bare metal.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

If I had a fretless I'd us flats.... Try some Chromes.

8. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I want a bit of a Jaco or Marcus Miller sound (not exactly). I do have flats. If you know of a flat that can give me that can attain that long sustaining mwaah that Miller gets when he plays a ballad, let me know.

9. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

If I can't get a decent upright/bass guitar hybrid sound with the rounds, as well as the Jaco/ MM sound, then I will get yet another cheap fretless. In which case I would equip that bass with flats--nylon tape wounds--maybe TI flats. No hex cores. Maybe Hex core rounds for a junk practice bass--strictly for finger strengthening purposes. But I am looking for a very specific type of sound. (I did get the type of sound I want from my 2 fretted six string basses. One with TI Jazz Rounds, the other with Hibeams. Hopefully I won't have to buy two fretless basses.)