1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dramatic size difference between Hipshots and 2000s era Fender tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Treadstone71, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Hello all, I've been planning on changing the tuners on my 2003 American Series P to something lighter, and after some research I bought a set of Hipshot Ultralites.

I haven't done the install yet, but as WalterW has commented before, the stock Fender tuners of the era ARE much heavier than the Hipshots. Honestly, I think one Fender tuner is only slightly lighter than all four Hipshots.

What I didn't expect was the drastic size difference. I did a test fit, and the pics speak for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm posting this just in case anyone else was interested in doing the same thing, and wanted to see what it would look like.

Sure there's going to be a new anchor hole, but I've confirmed the stock tuners will cover the hole if I revert, or ever decide to sell. Plus, the holes where the stock tuner pegs went in will help me landmark where to drill.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how she feels and plays after I'm done. I'll update if anyone's curious.