Drill Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by evanalmighty234, Aug 21, 2013.

1. evanalmighty234

evanalmighty234

So I bought a Bass off of Amazon and it arrived today. Pretty solid, not very expensive but i did not want to go all out and buy a super nice bass, as i dont need a super nice one now.

Anyway, it is extremely neck heavy (if i let go the head dips straight down). Would it be advisable to take off the neck and drill a hole to loose some weight? or would this throw off some structural integrity?

Please Help!
  2. Epidrake

Epidrake

Do not drill the neck. Use a suede backed strap to keep it from slipping down. Later if you get some extra cash, put lightweight tuners on it.
  3. BAce

BAce

I'll second the lightweight tuners idea. Had a bass with a set of big old 80's vintage Schallers on it. Severe neck dive, very fatiguing to play. Each Schaller tuner weighed about as much as an entire set of Hipshot Ultralights that I put on. Neck dive solved. Plus the Hipshot is a better tuner for staying in tune, IMO.
  4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

A third for lightweight tuners. Makes a world of difference.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

When I put together my custom bass, I weighed tuners. Traditional large elephant ear tuners weighed about four ounces each, or an entire pound of hardware. Hipshot UltraLites weigh about two ounces each, about a half pound total. In that one detail I saved about a half pound of suspended weight, cured neck dive, and made the bass much easier on my shoulder for long gigs.
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Necks with holes in them are bad news. Holes remove stablity. Removing weight at headstock via lightweight tuners is best way. Since headstock weight at end of neck will have greatest effect for diving.