Drive/disto through cabs equiped with tweeters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baxter_x, Dec 2, 2013.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Hi all,

I'm aiming to afford myself a drive/disto pedal/preamp (whatever). Still I've heard that the types of effect don't match well with cabs equiped with tweeters as tweeters tend to catch the worst frequencies from it. Is it true?
    I own 2 SWR Goliath III and want to make sure, the sound will be good at least ;)

I was planning to put the effect in the effect loop to send the distorded signal to only one cab, tweeter off, using the stereo feature of my SVT4 Pro. The other one would remain clear. But drives and distos don't go well in FX loops I was told.

Thanks for your feedbacks
  2. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

My small rig is a fender rumble 350 and rumble 2x10 and 1x12. Both have tweeters with on, off, and -6db switches. I usually turn one off and leave the other on at -6db. I like the tweeter for my clean tone so it is present, but then when I start to use drives they don't get screechy.
  3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

My cab has a tweeter and I use several drive pedals. I like a little bit of tweeter and I'm quite happy with my sound.
  4. baxter_x

baxter_x

Good to know!! Thanks.
    Any other feedback?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rickenmonster

I can't speak to your FX loop but my pedals sound better going straight into my front input of my SVT CL. Try both ways and see what sounds best to you.
  7. Swift713

Swift713

I'd go for a dirt pedal with some kind of tone control to roll off the offending treble.
  8. baxter_x

baxter_x

That's what I've always heard ;)

Like some kind of Boss ODB-3 or Sansamp pedal? Well, just a pedal with an EQ?
    If yes, thats very good to know though!
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

I always turn the tweeter all the way off in SWR and Eden cabinets. Four 10" speakers will give you all the treble you'll need.
  10. baxter_x

baxter_x

No it doesn't!!! ;)
    I always keep it at 25% at least. It provides that very particular crystal clear sound that is typical at SWR (and probably the same for Eden and EBS). Espacially for slap!!
    No offense here it's just my point of view ;)
  11. Rickenmonster

My tweeter knob is around back so I just reach around and turn it till it sounds right.