1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

driver for B-15N sound

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by morebass!, Mar 11, 2014.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

A friend gave me a Trace Elliot 1x15 without a driver. I want to make it sound like a B-15N, but louder. Lots of umph in the 100 - 200 hz range. I have a Walkabout head to drive it. I downloaded WINISD but need a starting point for drivers to look at. The cab dimensions (interior) are about 17"x15"x22" ~ 3.25 cu ft.. It has two 4.5" diameter ports (that could be plugged). Any suggestions for a nice vintage tone? I'd prefer a 4 ohm driver that weighs 2 pounds but am more interested in tone than weight or impedance..

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eminence Delta 15a. That and the Beta 15a are the go-to B-15 speaker replacements these days and are very successful in a lot of cabs of that style. I say go with the Delta because it sounds about identical to the old Ampeg labeled CTS in my 64 B-15N.

3. rogypop

rogypop

For starters check out eminence delta 15 and beta 15. Beta's got more output capability but delta got more mids. Have modeled them in sealed cab, tad smaller than yours. dont forget bthat b-15 is compact and sealed cab and it is a big part of its baked in tone. On higher end of spectrum there is eminence kappalite 3015, lot of displacement but should be eq'd to get you there. Works GREAT in compact vented cabs.

4. rogypop

rogypop

Jimmy beated me to it ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's a pretty good call, too, the 3015...not the 3015lf, which is strictly for use with a crossed over cab system. Another one you might like is the Faital 15PR400. A bit brighter than either one of those, but still very much in that realm of tone.

7. morebass!

Hey Jimmy, my B-15N is a '64 too. Original driver. Getting pretty floppy but I love it. I actually own two 3015s. Great driver but not what I was thinking of for this cab. I might use a 10" on top of it so I'm mainly looking for the beef of the B15. Not the super huge lows of some modern drivers but more just-right thump in the chest with just barely enough mids. I haven't tried a 3015 in this box but I had them in TL606s and they sounded great but didn't really thump much. Not too different from the EVs that were in there before but can handle way more power.

I think I'll try the beta. Does that work in a sealed cab? Kinda curious to try that since the ports on this TE would be easy to plug.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes, Eminence recommends it for both.

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Am I missing something here? The B-15N is a ported cab.

The B-15R (the Reissue, made for a few years around 2000) is a sealed cab.

10. morebass!

IMHO the B-15N is sort of a mix. It seems like some air gets through that double baffle. But its tight like a sealed cab. Whatever it is it has a unique sound. I don't claim to really understand it but I love it.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well the double baffle porting is unique, but it works pretty much the same way as any other ports except it directs the port sound in front of the speaker. If you made a B-15 cab and tuned a regular round port to what the slots in the double baffle give you, it would sound the same.