1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Drivers with great SPL for low powered amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by webmonster, Jun 28, 2013.

1. webmonster

webmonster

I saw a thread here recently about JBL 15's and I was very interested to see that the E130(?) has an exceptional SPL of 105dB. Very handy for older low-powered amps like my Jansen 75 or Selmer 50!

Do correct me if I am wrong, but the E130 is not being made anymore and is expensive to re-cone.

Is there a current production 15" driver with similar sensitivity?

I've also got a late 1960's Jansen 2x12 cab that I'd like to replace the drivers in - any suggestions for 12" drivers with similarly good sensitivity?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

E140 aren't too hard to find in old PA cabs here in NZ.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Was'nt the E130 a guitar speaker ? The E140 was the bass MI driver, and they pop up on Ebay regularly. Even better, imho, is the K140, which has a little better Xmax, and has a sweeter tone for bass.

4. ezstep

ezstep

Expensive compared to purchasing a new, raw speaker? Really?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not so handy if you want your low-powered amp to produce any bottom - sensitivity that high from a single direct radiating 15" means the driver is very heavily electrically damped and won't do anything in the lows.

If you want to use a low-powered amp at reasonable SPL then you'll need plenty of cone area and a large cab.

7. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

I had Don Oatman (LDS) build me a couple of single 15" cabinets loaded with Eminence Delta Pro 15A's. 101.6 db sensitivity for my 100 watt B-15 clone and they sound great. Plenty of volume to gig with compared to my other high power lower sensitivity cabinets. And they even stand up to and sound teriffic with my Aguilar DB750. Highly recommended, and Don builds a killer cabinet.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

It is unclear what you mean by "exceptional SPL of 105dB". Is that a maximum level or sensitivity rating ?

These days Faital speakers seem to be considered similar to JBLs in quality and tone. Eminence also has some speakers that are very high quality and there are others. You should be aware that they are a bit on the expensive side of the spectrum.

10. iualum

iualum

LDS is aces.

www.LowDownSound.com

11. webmonster

webmonster

Thanks for all your responses. I've found the original thread I read where John_K compares several JBL 15" drivers for tone and specs:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/vintage-15-jbl-comparisons-w-soundclips-809918/

From what I can find JBLs are expensive to recone and they only supply kits to their authorised repair agents. In 2011 John_K gave an example of a JBL recone cost of USD$264-$300.
    I've recently had an unknown student in my Music Dept. make a hole in a JBL speaker for a guitar amp. Advice I've had from my P.A. & sound company is that there are two JBL repairers in NZ and it will be expensive.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

How does the Eminence 3015HO compare?

Seems fairly efficient from my experience.

13. webmonster

webmonster

Yes, that is the one I've got my eye on. I was wondering if there was anything more efficient available.

14. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

+1 There is really no getting around this.

Pick a driver (8, 10, 12 or 15 inch) with the tone you want and with moderate sensitivity (93-98db/w/m). Then use multiples. You could make stackable cabs (like 2x10's or 2x12's).

15. 1n3

1n3

The 3015 is about as sensitive as a JBL E-140; ~100dB (1W/1M). But those are average sensitivity numbers, and don't tell the whole story. As Alex Claber has said, the E-130 gives away low-frequency performance to achieve it's high average-sensitivity number.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    A lot of folks don't look at frequency response graphs; usually the high sensitivity is in the mid range area with bass response way down by comparison.

17. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

In the case of the 3015, 1 KHz, which is usually where sensitivity is measured, is within its "flat" range (+/- about 2dB) and this is true of many speakers although some speakers are not that flat. Many speakers also have a rise in response that begins just above 1kHz, including the 3015. BTW - that site, US Speaker, has response curves for many speakers.