Drop B+F# pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pjotrinskij, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

I'm playing a modified five string Ibanez, and I tune it to F#-B-F#-B-E, and to really get the rumble and output that I'm looking for I need to get some new pickups, preferably passive, that can pick up that low F# but still deliver a massive punch from my heavy distortion. Anyone have some ideas?

2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I'd suggest something with some military grade magnetics ;) In all seriousness though, look up Active EMG's and Seymour Duncan Basslines.

3. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

Any specific model in mind?

4. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

What bass do you have now (model)? pickup setup?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

The bass is originally (I think, it's been heavily modified by it's previous owner) an Ibanez SR305, and the pickups are two passive... Oh snap, can't remember the name. DX5 if I recall correctly, I don't have the bass with me right now. I've never heard of the pickups, and I can't find anything online on them.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What strings are you using? What amp are you running through? What distortion pedal are you employing?

These questions will have a little more impact on your tone than just swapping out pickups all willy-nilly. If it turns out you're tuning a .145 string down to F#, your tone is still going to suck, because you're playing on a wet noodle. If your amp is a little 100 watt combo with one 10" speaker, your tone is still going to suck because you don't have the ability to move lots of air and EQ exactly the right frequencies... I think you get the picture.

Your bass has some cheap Ibanez brand pickups, if they're original.

8. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

I've recently bought new cirkle K strings, .166-.053, and I'm slowly upgrading all of my gear. When playing live I mostly rent a full stack, instead of playing my worn out Hartke, and the best way to get better studio and live sound that my wallet allows for the moment is swapping my pickups.

The pickups are also not original, just crappy.

9. Alexio58

Alexio58

I would recomend EMG's any way, it just depends what tone you're looking for,
    I play a down tuned Thunder bird with a Big Muff, an EH Bass Metaphores (real recomendation) and an 15" speaker, I'm pretty statisfied with the sound so
    If you want big distorted tone I would look for a EMG hz set and a big tone cap to filter all the hights from the mix,
    If you want an bass blast go with EMG active CS pickups, not te X version, those are a mix between passive and active, not really for te heavy stuff

10. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

I've been thinking about the hz's, and they are very reasonably priced IMO. Thanks.

11. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I'm not a fan of the HZs. The price may be right, but the tone is pretty muddy, IMO.

12. Pjotrinskij

Pjotrinskij

What would you recommend instead?

13. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Active EMGs seem to be popular in the genre.

14. Alexio58

Alexio58

I agree on the muddy part of the hz, If you don't like mud, go with active pickups
    Then however make a disicion between ceramics (agressive with tons of clarity) or ceramic steel ( more bass focus but with the whole spectrum)
    Another option is an CS (ceramic steel) in the neck and a C (ceramic) in the bridge.