1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Drop c question?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DarkAscentBass, Dec 8, 2013.

1. DarkAscentBass

DarkAscentBass

Oct 18, 2013
    I play a 5 string and I tune c g c f a#. But some of the pros I like, namely Nolly of periphery and Ryan martinie of mudvayne use g c g c f. I was curious of the pros and cons of this tuning vs what I use and is there as specific reason the prefer this tuning. Thank you

2. DarkAscentBass

DarkAscentBass

Oct 18, 2013
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    The pro is that you get that super low G. The con is that you get that super low G. You'd need a big string to tune to that low G, something from Circle K Strings will work.

You don't need to do everything or even anything that your favorite bass players do.

Nolly tunes to G because the band tunes to G. Ryan tunes to G because... I don't know, Mudvayne used to play in drop B, but they sucked after LD50.

5. I really like having the top string octave at the 5th fret of the 2nd string instead of the 7th.

6. DarkAscentBass

DarkAscentBass

Oct 18, 2013
    Nolly tunes drop c on his five and like drop f# on his six I think. Ld50 was in drop c. I know I can do it how I want but if you do not ask or experiment you never know what your missing.

7. Dime1012

Dime1012

Apr 21, 2013
    Actually LD50 was in drop B so ryan actually had a low F#, every album after that was in drop C so he tuned his lowest to G, he even stopped playing a 5'er for awhile.

8. overclockerd

overclockerd

May 10, 2012
    It's just what works for them, i suggest you try this tuning and see for yourself if it fits your playing style.

9. djaydjay

djaydjay

Mar 14, 2010
    Out of the few songs I tried to play, IMN is the only one that comes to my mind where Ryan really needed that low G (but i've read that most songs on Lost&Found need it). He uses it a few time to get the A# and to do some bend that would have been harder to do on the 1st few frets on the C string.

Other than that... well, like a low B in standard tuning, it is nice to be able to play some notes higher on the neck.

The cons? it isn't easy to get a good sounding low G string. You probably will need some custom set ($).

In fact you just made me want to try again that tuning :D
    I have been using some DR DDT 135 to tune down to A and I wonder if they would handle such a low tuning