Drop D Tuning for playing Jazz

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    The Eb is such a common chord in Jazz that I'm thinking of tuning down the E string to a D for some songs that use Eb a lot.

A good example of someone who didn't tune down and played the Eb on the D string was James Jamerson. He made it sound interesting.

Am I just overthinking things? By the way, please don't tell me to get a 5 string. It's a very viable option, but I love my 4 string too much.

What are your thoughts? Just a healthy discussion, not trying to change minds or offend.

2. lz4005

lz4005

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

why not just tune a half step down?

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

That's the answer, man!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jay Q

Jay Q Supporting Member

Back when I was playing lots of jazz, I never tuned down. It would've been problematic (for me, anyway) because of the relatively greater complexity of harmony and more notes that I played (walking), having to tweak my brain to switch notes/positions just for the E string would've been more trouble than it's worth. And, FWIW, no one -- and I mean no one -- ever complained to me about the Eb being played on the D string.

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Nothing about jazz is that you don't necessarily need the lowest most thunderous notes. Ithe lowest notes are really uncharacteristic if not just plain bad sounding. This is of course talking about more classic or straight ahead jazz. On a personal note I find that the first normal Eb is a perfect amount of low end vs usabilIty, especially on a double bass

8. elgecko

elgecko

Yes.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

If you're going to play Real Book stuff no need to detune countless of DB player never downtuned and it was great, it will force you to look for the root somewhere else than the lowest note you can produce.

If you are playing fusion or whatever then yeah you can pretty much tune lik you wish.

10. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

If the guys detune or capo I just ask what key they want the song in. Normally have to direct this question to the keys as the guitards have no idea.

I stay in standard tuning.