Drop g tuning

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MelodicExp, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MelodicExp

MelodicExp

I play in a hardcore band and the guitar player plays in drop g. For some reason his tone sounds really muddy to me. I'm gonna list some reasons why I think this is happening in hopes you can tell me how to fix it.
    1. Bad eq setting on his part
    2. His strings are to floppy (I think he needs some baritone strings)
    3. His technique is lacking( I don't really
    think this is it
    4. Terrible distortion pedal
  2. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

Probably 2. Five steps is a LONG way down.
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Sounds like he's going to be filling in the bass role of the band
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

With Drop G tuning, does the guitar tune up or down?
  5. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

the e would tune to g...would be my guess...but then my thought is the fact that because its sooo low that it would be muddying the sound, because also just thinking about it the other strings would also have to be stepped down to not seem sooo drastic...tell him to play in drop C and that would sound much better and way darker sounding whilst still maintaing clarity of sound...dropped G would just sound a mud pile IMO
  6. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate

5 steps is not that crazy, meshuggah has been tuned down a whole octave since the 80s, granted, their playing 7 and 8 string guitars.

Probably he has 2 main issues. #1 his pickups are not built for this level of brootality, and #2 he needs some heavier strings
  7. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

8. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    There's quite a difference between downtuning an octave and dropping just one string 5 steps.

I have a few thoughts (aside from wondering why a guitar player would want over an octave difference between his lowest string and the next (A) string).

String guage: Just guessing, but I think the G string would need to be twice as thick as a standard A string, so we're in the range of .070 or larger.

Speakers: The dropped G string would be the same pitch as the 3rd fret G on a bass guitar. Not many guitar speakers can handle frequencies that low.
  9. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

My old band did this. Solution?
    It's definitely the strings. They used a .082 drop tuned set from Circle K Strings and the sound was so much better after that!

I'm not so sure about how it sounds for hardcore though. We were pretty heavy deathcore and the guitarists were running through sonic maximizers and decimators, but through standard amplification it should still sound good. Point is if your string is floppy you dont have a very strong fundamental. Up the gauge, up the tension, and you get an amazing sound!

Drop G is like this: G0-D1-G1-C2-F2-Ab2, or at least it was for me on my bass. The guitars were an octave higher, and had that M3 interval thrown in there somewhere. It's exactly like downtuning an octave, just two steps less!

As per speakers...No...any amp will handle that fine. I played in Drop A through a Vox ac15 for years, and nobody died.
  10. jabsys

jabsys

But it's not just 1 string dropped & there wouldn't be an octave between them, Drop G is G-D-G-C-E-A.
  11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Ah! Different terminology than I'm accustomed to.
    To me, "dropped tuning" means dropping just one string. What you're describing is what I'd call a combination of "down tuning" and "drop tuning".

My comment about the speakers' ability to handle the pitches still stands, though.
  12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

As floppy as a fish on land, I guess :p With a 8 string guitar that has a F# string, it would be tuning up, right?
  13. MelodicExp

MelodicExp

The guitar player tunes up because he plays an 8 string
  14. MelodicExp

MelodicExp

And he has active emgs
  15. johnnybumfights

johnnybumfights

Whats his setup