1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Drop tunings and setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sjeverett, Feb 4, 2014.

1. sjeverett

sjeverett

I setup my bass for standard tuning but play more drop d and drop c. Would it be better to setup in one of these tunings since there is a difference in string tension? Im using D'Addario XL's medium strings. In a perfect world I would have a bass for every tuning but for now I only have one P Bass. Reason I'm asking is because I had to setup today and its only been 6 months since last setup.
  2. Onelessfixie

Onelessfixie

Do you pay for set ups or do them yourself? Either way if you really want those low notes and don't want to sacrifice standard tuning, you might want to consider stringing BEAD using the lower 4 strings of a 5 string set. If you intend to permanently stay in a drop tuning like DADG or DGCF theres nothing wrong with setting your truss rod, intonation, etc. specifically for that tuning, although if the need ever arises to tune up to standard your action and intonation will be off a bit. Personally I feel limited using drop tunings. Running BEAD & on a short scale I might add, been working great for me :bassist:
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Six months ago it was summer: humid. Now it's winter: dry (unless you are in the Southern Hemisphere of course). Humidity changes make wood change. Expect to setup your bass every six months (at least: my rods get adjusted quarterly) for the rest of your playing days unless you live in an extremely arid environment: that brings other issues.
  4. sjeverett

sjeverett

Thanks. For the insight. I have a jam/weight/laundry room. When the temps dip down, I keep the door closed and run a small heater. Spring/Fall door stays open and temp is par for the rest of the house. During the dog days of summer, I turn the ac on and keep it about 78 in there. I tend to go back and forth between tunings so I just setup twonor three times a year. Just takes me a few minutes. Guess this bass just needs setup more often than my guitars.