Dropped my 8-10e, ID this speaker...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Zigmundfloyd, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Zigmundfloyd

Zigmundfloyd

Greetings,

While being loaded into a truck after a show my MTI era 8-10 cab fell about 4 feet hard onto asphalt straight on it's back. I immediately thought "there goes a magnet or 2". Surprisingly everything still worked until last night at practice. It was sounding really bad so I popped off the grille and the top right speaker was not moving at all, and the excursion on the top left was about half of what the other six were doing. On further inspection the right speaker was frozen, the cone would not manually move at all. I took the the speaker out and noticed the back was VERY hot, something I have never seen before.

Then I stuck my hand on the back of the left speaker and felt a big hole. Next was a search through the baffling and I found the back of the left speaker where it had separated from the magnet. So my question for the experts here is can anyone ID these speakers, and also determine rated wattage?

In doing a TB search for 8-10e replacement speakers the consensus seems to be that the Eminence Legend b810 is the best choice. It is a 150 watt speaker and I wonder how replacing just the top 2 in the cab would work? It seems there would be some efficiency and volume difference between the b810s and the original 6....Or maybe not.

Older pic of the speaker:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance..........

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting question. Not very familiar with what MTI cabs were using for speakers. I don't think they were particularly heavy duty speakers since it was the early 80's. I'd maybe estimate each speaker as handling 50w for a total of 400. B810's can be used in that way you describe, but from what I've heard from others on here they go a bit deeper than the stock speakers that would likely be in your cab. That would be a little difficult to locate an exact replacement, so the B810 thing might work for you. Wish I had more personal experience with it, though. I'm just going by what others on here have said about them.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

You need 32 ohm drivers for the 810. The Eminence b810 will do it.