1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dropping Down on the Strings

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Reddog01, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Reddog01

Reddog01

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgetown, TX
    As a setup to this question, I should tell you that I am an old guitar player that mostly played by the three-finger picking method. This involved the index finger, middle finger and thumb. I am trying to learn how to pick the bass (at the young age of 63) and I am having to unlearn a few things from my guitar playing days.

One of my biggest problem is the two-finger plucking. It's very logical in my head to rest the thumb on the pickup while I am plucking the E string, but I want to stay on the pickup when I pluck the A string also. When I drop down to the D and G strings I feel most comfortable resting my thumb on the E string. I have watched many videos of other bass players, and some are dropping the thumb down to the A string and D string, and some others do not drop as much.

I want to learn this correctly, and I'm not sure how I ought to be practicing this technique. Any pointers?

2. Check out: Floating Thumb Technique in the Technique Forum, up top in the "stickies" (near the top of the list).

Good info and some videos, there, I believe.

And, welcome aboard! We won't hold the guitar thing against you. Lots of crossovers here.

hrb

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    What you're using is a moveable anchor and it's a perfectly valid technique. Personally, I like to use a single anchor point and raise my elbow to facilitate getting over the A, D, and G strings.

5. Reddog01

Reddog01

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgetown, TX
    Thanks. I've checked out some of the videos, and guess what, apparently there's no one way to do it. I guess i have to find what works for me. Time to get back to practicing.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Old guitar player here, too. (63 also). Sometimes I anchor, sometimes I float, just depends. I understand what you mean about having to reach for the higher strings, but it's never been a problem for me. My wrist and elbow make up the difference somehow, and all's well. I think you have to read about others' technique and then find your own way. (Actually, I never read a thing about it when I switched to bass back in '88. I just played the bass).