Drum Machine...or something like it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

OK, so I'm a total novice, especially when it comes to effects, amps, etc. What I'm looking for is something simple and fairly cheap that will let me play along with a drum beat when I practice. I've seen a few people talking about cool drum beat apps for iPad. But, I'm not sure how I'd be able to hear that over the bass itself. So, I'm thinking about something that can play through my amp (Unless there is some way to play an iPad through my amp that I don't know about?).

As far as the machine/pedal/app/whatever, I don't need much. Just looking to get a handful of preset beats that aren't too cheesy and will allow me to adjust the tempo. If it has more functionality that's cool (sampler, etc). But, I'm looking for something that will help me practice that won't take hours and hours to figure out how to program.

So, what am I looking for? An iPad app and a way to play it louder? A piece of hardware that I can plug into my amp? I have no idea.
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

How much do you want to spend? You can pick up a Zoom B3 for about 200 bucks and it has a drum machine and looper built in so you can jam with yourself if you want to. It also has about 100 different effects to mess with. The drum machine and looper are both really easy to use.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

4. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

I was hoping for something a little more simple and a little cheaper. But, I'll check out the Zoom. The beat buddy is definitely out of my price range.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

If you're looking for something inexpensive, then check out the Zoom B1. 50 $ used has a lot of rythms, decent sound quality. That was my first and only multi-effect pedal. I still have it and only use it as a rythm machine when I practice on my own.
  8. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

I'm checking out reviews of the zoom b1 now. Looks like a winner.

As for the JamPlug, I'm not sure that I really understand what it does. I hope you'll forgive me. I'm not very tech saavy.

I'm thinking that hooking the iPad up to the amp is going to be the way to go. I think that's what the JamPlug is trying to do, but I'm not sure how. I should mention that I have an iPad 1....so no Bluetooth..
  9. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

You could use an open source program called hydrogen if you have a laptop. It's free and is actually a pretty polished program that sounds good too. You can save drum patterns that you can make to cater to your needs and open them like a word document. I think you download more drum kit sounds too from their website if you don't like the two stock ones. Its pretty awesome and for $0 you have nothing to lose.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/
  10. pedroims

pedroims

You connect the jam plug in your ipad like a headphone, then you connect your bass and headphone to the jamplug, now you can hear your bass in the headphone plus garage band or any similar app
  11. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Ah, I didn't see that it had connectors on the side. Awesome. That seems like a great solution right there. Thanks!
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

+1 on that. I remember my friend used an ipad when we started his band and it worked out pretty well. and my other friend used an ipod as a drum machine. they use like garage band and easy drummer to program drum tracks and honestly I think this is an ingenious idea to do if drummers are hard to find. also this would work out for those who had bad experiences with real drummers.
  13. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

I'm using iReal B. It's not a straight drum machine, but it's a hell of a practice tool. Around $12 - displays and plays MIDI charts, and sounds great. It's an app for iPhone/iPad/Mac or Android. Has a little mixer so you can turn off bass accompaniment. Sweet for practice/backing tracks, you can download tons of jazz/blues standards mostly (think I have around 1400) off their forums, and program your own charts if you like.

And it'll transpose, change tempo, change styles (from cha-cha-cha to rock to reggae to samba to country to funk to soul to latin to argentinian tango to...), etc etc.
  14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

A used keyboard has lots of beats, and yah lots of free apps now and beats on youtube, play em through your normal stereo speakers and jam along.

Also i think the software is called EZ drummer about 99 bucks has about 8000 pre made midi drum files, beats, fill ins, rolls etc. many genres like rock country metal etc etc, all real sampled drum kits.

you could program your own beats too, or just drag and drop from the library so so simple dont know how easy you have it these days people
    spent hours and hundreds of dollars buying software, buying samplers, buying samples and then still had to program the beats line by line.

now you just drag and drop, with very high res samples, and the price of the software now, would barely pay for all the cables and disks needed
    to run old school samplers and store the sounds.
  15. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'd recommend the Zoom B3.

If all you want are the drums, there are cheaper (but maybe not easier) solutions. But you say you're new to effects also. The B3 is a great place to jump in.

In addition to lots of drum beats (that you can change the tempo), there's a looper that you can use along with the drum beats. Now you can work on harmony along with the rhythm.

There are also 100 or so effects/amp models to try out. And if you like any of them, the quality is good enough to gig with.

And it has a USB connection so you can interface it with your computer.

For someone just starting out with rhythm trainers/effects, the B3 is a good, reasonably priced solution.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Holy crap, why didnt I ever think about this!? Thanks! hehe :bag:
  17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I agree.. irealb is pretty good too for practicing when you want to go to the next level and not spend a lot of money..
  18. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    I use Garage Band on my mac and I like the way it works. I would imagine it would be simpler to use on an iPad. There's nothing like recording yourself and listening back.
  19. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

I might look into this when I have a few more bucks. But, right now I'm looking at using my iPad. It's the cheapest way to get what I'm looking for. Also, I'm not really that into using effects. I'm sure that at some point I'd find a use for them, but I was mainly interested in the drum loops.
  20. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Then I'd say go with Garageband. It'll do what you want.

Good luck.
  21. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

OK, so I've figured out how to get the ipad hooked up. I've tried a few apps. But, here is my issue. I really don't want to program any drum loops. All I want is to pick a style, meter, and tempo and have the preprogrammed drum machine do the rest.

I'm sure that there is an app that will do this. But, I don't want to spend a bunch of money trying different apps only to find out they aren't what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any app recommendations for me?