1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Drum Machine Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RBX4, Jan 17, 2013.

1. RBX4

RBX4

Looking at buying 1, anybody have recommendations, need to get better at improv!
  2. Yools

Yools

If you want a dedicated machine with classic drum tones and lots of flexibility in programming beats/songs, I would definitely recommend the Alesis SR-16.

If you want a software version that runs on a computer, check out the Hydrogen drum machine program. It's freeware, and it is pretty easy to use. The best part is that it's easy to modify or substitute your own drum sounds for those in the stock drum kit, and there are a lot of free drum kits available. Also, you can program songs in Hydrogen, then convert them to .wav files and directly import into Audacity or ProTools (or similar program) and record songs.

-Y
  3. ccouch7

ccouch7

I would recommend drum software such as Toontracks EZ drummer or Superior Drummer or similar.
    I've had many drum machines and they just don't compaer IME.
    Good luck!
  4. jaxom

jaxom

I used to have a Roland r-70. I really liked it and would recommend it, if you can find one used....
  5. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

(A BIG) +1 for the Alesis SR16.

I've had mine for more than 20 years and only very recently (like last week) has it had it's first problem.
    It has become a bit reluctant to copy patterns sometimes. It'll still copy them after a couple of tries mind you.

Not bad for 20 + years of use/abuse!
    I've practiced, recorded and used it live countless times since about 1991/2.

An amazing piece of gear.

Usually $50 - $200 on fleaBay.

[​IMG]
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

The creme de la creme of drum machines, back when there was fierce competition in the physical box market, is the Roland R-8 MkII. Incredible versatility and programmability, I have fooled many musicians many times with tracks made on that thing. You can probably score them with a couple of sound cards cheap these days.

Boss and Alesis are still in the game for the hands-on types out there. They make some nice stuff.

EDIT: Oops, my bad. Roland R-8 MkII still going for around $250-$400 on eBay.
  7. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i have a blue electribe, but it's stocked full of mostly dance stuff, so it's not always good when i don't want to
  8. dece

dece Supporting Member

Roland R-70
  9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Look to your iPhone (if you have one).

There's an app called DM1, which is basically every drum machine you've ever heard of, plus sampled acoustic kits as well.

808, 909, 606, even the old Casio patterns are there.

Best part: only $5.
  10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

if getting better at improv is your goal, then you want something that will offer a wide variety of styles, easily. I would focus on software(or hardware, like the SR-16) that offers those items as strengths.
  11. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

I have the SR-18. It has a little more than I need and I'd go with the SR-16 if I was shopping for one again. Making up drum parts to improv & groove to in the bedroom is much easier with an actual drum machine than it is with any piece of computer software.
  12. metaball

metaball

as a lifelong synthgeek i'd reccommend making beats or using drumloop software on a your computer. most drum machines are limited in their sound options & beat possibilities.

a program like Reaper would enable you to stack & loop beats from a sample library. here's a collection of drum machine samples to get you started.

personally i'm partial to using my own samples so i'd look at Korg Electribe ESX1SD or Elektron Octatrack if i was going for a drum machine. might be a little much if youre just looking for a souped up metronome to play along with.
  13. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I reckon I'd buy the SR-18 if my 16 ever died. Other than that, my SR-16 will continue it's call of duty here.

Apparently the 18's samples are of a higher quality and it has a number of extra features over the SR-16.
  14. RBX4

RBX4

Thanx Fellas!
  15. astickmanbass

astickmanbass

A little of topic but does any one know which drum machine Victor Wooten uses? I little cliche of a question but just curious. I've read the Boss loop station, can anyone verify this?
  16. AJ Brown

AJ Brown Supporting Member

Nice app! Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, it's $6.99 in the app store now.
  17. metaball

metaball

RD3 is a good one for Android $3, as is Electrum for $4.
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    And worth every penny. Plus, as of this morning it supports Audiobus, which opens up all kinds of uses.
  19. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

Just got it for $2.99 in the App Store.