1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Drum Rudiments for Fingerstyle Practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Dec 19, 2013.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

Anyone ever try to improve their plucking hand with these? Being in my high school band, this is pretty much the language of our percussion section. I was challenged to learn these rudiments on my bass. I told the issuer of the challenge it was impossible, but I started digging in, and it seems like a very worthwhile tool in learning rhythm, left-right coordination between fingers, and ingraining good timing. Of course, some things would have to be altered for bass (flams as grace notes/hammer-ons, roll notation would be a little off-kilter, etc...) but the gist is still there. I would assume most of us prefer RLRL over LRLR or vise-versa, but i think these would help eliminate that barrier and lead to more fluent plucking hand technique.

Also, if you ever want something to practice rhythm with (long car/plane ride, no-gig weekend, whenever) this: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/features/webrhythms/intro.php -arranged in levels of increasing intensities, covers all kinds of rhythmic elements, great learning tool
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

As you noted a good number of the rudiments are centered around a double bounce such as the flam and ruff. I can see a basic paradiddle as a good co-ordination practice, although I don't see a specific real world application. But to mess with all the rudiments, or even the first 13 might be a bit of an over kill. I don't really see an need for the triple ratamacue and others of that ilk, but.... whatever floats your boat.

But, that said. Rudimental drummers will often perform the rudiments in an 'open-closed-open' format that could also be a co-ordination builder if applied to bass fingering. Still, there are many better ways to spend your practice time.
  3. the_stone

the_stone

If you're interested in getting your rhythm chops up to speed, check out "Modern Reading Text in 4/4" by Louie Bellson.