Drum Sanders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luthier Atlanta, Dec 2, 2013.

?

What Brand?

1. G1079R 16" Drum Sander w/ Rubber Conveyor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. JET 16-32 Plus Drum Sande

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. DELTA 31-260X 18-Inch-by-36-Inch Drum Sander

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. SHOP FOX W1678 5 HP 26-Inch Drum Sander

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

What do you have, want, etc.
    If you have one, Pro's and Con's

I am looking to buy one and have researched out most and scoped out reviews. But we all know were the ones who know whats good and bad.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have an older Delta 18-36 Drum sander. It works great, so that would be my recommendation.
  3. suraj

suraj

I use a self built machine and I couldn't recommend it more only because of all the flexibility I designed into it.

I would have not been able to build a functional guitar without it.

EDIT : Sorry I didn't realise this was a Poll :face palm:
  4. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

No Problem, where did you get the plans or did you just wing it?
  5. suraj

suraj

I made my own plans. Designed it to be used as a thickness sander from 5" thick boards to 0.6mm thin veneers; as a jointer with a jointing jig, and as a fretboard radius-er with a radiused sanding drum attachment.

[​IMG]

with the jointing jig -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a fretboard radius drum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The secret to the precision of my machine lies in the flatness of the table, for which I used a thick granite slab, while a matching flat slab was used for the jointing jig.

I don't mind sharing my plans if you decide to go the DIY route. If I could make this, anyone can..
  6. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Owner/Founder/Builder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have two

- Performax 22-44: this or the 16-32 version would be a great choice for those on a budget who are also working at a business or serious hobbyist level, and for those working furniture/cabinetry. it's a studly workhorse that can run all day long. only issue is that you need to be detailed in your set-up, else it's super easy to have a slight taper one side to the other. in a pinch it will play nice on a 15A circuit together with a small dust collector if you take small enough passes and use the right starting order

[​IMG]

Powermatic 16" wide belt: if you need something to be dead flat, this is the sander to save up for. this one requires a 50A 220v circuit and 1200+ cfm of dust collection, but it also has twin rollers and an adjustable platen so flat is as flat as flat can be. one turn on the adjustment wheel is .008" in thickness, so it can be a LOT of cranking when adjusting between significantly different thickness pieces. this unit also requires compressed air to oscillate the belt side-side

[​IMG]

all the best,

R
  7. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

I had looked at the Jet Performax 22-44, how is it????
    It is about what I want to spend.

http://www.wayfair.com/Jet-22-44-Oscillating-Drum-Sander-Kit-Stand-659006K-S-OIH1079.html
  8. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Owner/Founder/Builder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have the older non-oscillating version of the 22-44, so I can't comment on how it compares to the newer model but can guess that the oscillating side-side belt feature would be good for reducing sanding marks left by the larger (smaller number) grits

I got my sander several years back as a wood show (Atlanta) demo unit. sander + stand + extension tables were $900

as with all single drum type units, experience in using them will help you develop a strategy for maintaining flat opposing faces that are parallel to each other. similar story for working with rough lumber and jointers/planers

this said, it's been the workhorse in my shop and does a wonderful job prepping bodies and bookmatched top sets. my planer is limited to 10" wide stock, so all of my 1-piece body blanks are thicknessed with the 22-44 and heavy sanding grits

all the best,

R
  9. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very jealous I just have the little 16-32.... :rollno: :bawl:
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

This is one is obviously the best. Those pulleys make it go much faster than the others ;)

In all seriousness, it looks like a pretty handy machine. The premade ones are nice, but this one is personal!
  11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have the Delta. It was good for a couple years but it's probably getting near 10 years old and it's a lot of trouble now. I'd probably try a Grizzly if I were to buy a new one.
  12. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

Disclosures:
    Builder: ThorBass
    I used to use the Jet/Performax 16-32. It's great as long as you don't care if it's not possible to make the drive belt track properly and you like your work stopping halfway through and being gouged deeply so to be safe you have to push the wood through. Never let go or it'll probably stop. Besides those benefits you also get to take at most about .010 off any hardwood each pass.

Iow, if you're building with balsa wood this is the machine for you. If you want one you can pick it up here for $25.
  13. eddiemac

eddiemac

I have a Woodmaster (formerly Belsaw, from Kansas City) 34" (I think) drum sander I bought used for $600. It does a great job, sturdy machine. Used ones pop up now and then.