1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Drummer was side lined

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Got a call from an old band mate drummer who brought me into a paid one time gig for a CD release show.

We had one session and I was told later the project financier we call money bags and his son the star singer were not aware that this session was going to be a full band, they showed up to see it in progress. We thought they were happy to see things kicking off.

Three days later the producer of the show and album calls to say money bags wants someone they know to play the drums on the CD but my drummer can still play the live show. My drummer is a semi professional so he takes gigs with money in mind. He wanted 500 to record the album. He told me this morning that they kinda balked at his 250.00 minimum. So with only a live show he said too much work and time for too little pay to do one show and he'd have to cut his CA vacation short when he goes there to play with his old band so he's out. Along with this drummer is the light rig he was going to bring and a fiddle player who he could have gotten to record some fiddle work for 50 a song on the CD. Drummer told the producer that the bass player won't be pulled just because he is out of the gig as I am my own man in this. True but one the main draws was working with the drummer, a friend and ex band mate.

Wonder if it was because someone has a friend they want on the CD or the money.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

yeah, probably - so do you groove with the new drummer?
  3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Have not met him yet. A band of strangers needs to be gig ready by Feb. 8th and changes in the line up are still being made.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh well, all you can do is your best. Best wishes.
  5. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Does this thread come with a question, or is it read-only?
  6. the yeti

the yeti

i'm guessing it was the money. but your post brings a question to mind: why would the drummer (or any hired player) need to worry about production (lights, etc)?
  7. Nagrom

Nagrom

So the plan is to assemble a band, record a CD, mix and master it, do the artwork and packaging, then release it Feb 8 to the eagerly awaiting hordes. Can't wait to hear it. When's the parade?
  8. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Well, there IS a "release show." Don't forget that! :eek:
  9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I asked about the next rehearsal. The star singer is too busy with church functions this week end and so is the producer who's playing guitar, I've not met the new drummer and still need the three other songs that last I heard were not recorded.

CD's going to press? I am gonna assume the producer has a company that will push his project to the front of the line otherwise I don't see it happening.

If everyone can play their parts perfect I can walk on with no rehearsals and pull it off but I am a skeptic. Still need a key board player for one song that is a gospel worship praise type composition. It's very beautiful, I've never dabbled in such a style.

About the light rig, I don't know. I guess the drummer just happens to have a really nice light rig. He also plays with the some group of fiddlers who are world class, most are ex members of the San Francisco phil harmonic orchestra or whatever it's called. One of the guys in this group played the violin for the sound track of Last of the Mohicans. He was going to bring in a fiddler for the album but that is part of the package deal that got cut out.
  10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Shouldn't you be busy learning a few country tunes? ;)
  11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I should but have family in town now and rather then have a block of a couple of hours to play it all over and I just got back from the hospital and have to go visit at mother in laws then back to the hospital.
  12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

And my father in law passed away at the hospital Monday night. Yep un expected things happen. And we still have yet to get together for a practice session.
  13. the yeti

the yeti

sorry for your loss.
  14. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Thank you. Wife is taking it pretty hard. It sucks.
  15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Last I heard on the project is Guitar player might be replaced.
  16. the yeti

the yeti

been there. it does. it's hard to be in your position too, trying to be there for her. it's a tough job. even though i don't know you or the particulars of the situation i know you're up to it. stay strong!
  17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Weird stuff like that happens. We got bumped from a festival show so the mayor's son's band could play. Then the mayor's son calls our drummer trying to put a band together to back him for the gig as it turned out he didn't actually have a band. Our drummer told him
    to bug off.
  18. the yeti

the yeti

that kind of sucks, unless they're bringing in someone truly amazing. having this project to distract you could be a good thing right now. try to stay positive.
  19. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I'm good with the project. I feel really bad for my wife and her brothers losing their dad. I lost mine in 2009 so I know how it feels.

I wrote the project manager or the guy calling the shots and gave him an email address of a guy I met at a jam once who seems to be the kinda guitar player that would fit this bill perfectly. I assumed he had someone else in mind but he was glad I gave him a lead.
  20. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Drummer will be a no show. I am going to meet with the producer and bringing in a guitar player I know.

Leaving now.