1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Drummers who became bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dalahorse, Oct 22, 2011.

1. dalahorse

dalahorse

I'm starting a drummers who became bassists club. (Sure hope one doesn't already exist!) I'm starting this thing off. I loves me my Tamas and Zildjians. I loves me my Schecter basses!

If you're originally a drummer that took up the bass, speak up! I claim club spot #1. :bassist:

2. Mugre

Mugre

I finally have a club! Played drums for 30 years. I'm also a buddhist but sorry, the main bass is a Hamer.

Better change my .sig

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

4. Richland123

Richland123

I started out as as drummer and my first two paying gigs were as a 13 year old percussionist. Eventually, I played drums on a couple songs and switched with the drummer in a band who also played bass. However, that was a very long time ago. I have played other instruments but have been playing bass as my main instrument for 41-1/2 years now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WildWes

WildWes Supporting Member

A club does exist, but only in my head (see my avatar).

Still play drums, recently took up bass and currently own more basses than my technique/abilities require. :rollno: WW

7. madmatt

madmatt

I started on bass and then drums.
    I would not call myself a drummer, but I can play the drums and I wish I had a kit.

8. tidehunter

tidehunter

I played the drums for over 7 years then my band decide that we should mix the instruments... since then i became a bass player!!

I still play the drums but i've been spending more time with my old Samick bass...... really old!
    :smug:

9. puremusic

puremusic

Can I have a # please I have travel the road as a drummer and I do session work as drummer and the bassist in most situations.
    Hence my Sig on the bottom Beat by Beat Note by Note

10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I obviously need to join THIS club!!

Number please...

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

12. dalahorse

dalahorse

Excellent! Here's the roster so far:

1: dalahorse
    2: Mugre
    3: Stinsok
    4: Richland123
    5: WildWes
    6: tidehunter
    7: puremusic
    8: drummer5359
    9: Epitaph04

madmatt: Go get yourself a kit and practice!!

13. animvl

animvl

I want in! I started drums around the age of 10, maybe before. I did start guitar before bass though, but since I moved to guitar from drums I still count. I still play all three, although I don't own a drum kit right now.

14. dalahorse

dalahorse

10: animvl

We're growing!

15. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    Count me in.

Regrettably, I'm a much better drummer than bass player.

Just had a gig last night acting as the bass *sub* in my regular band. I'm usually the drummer in the band. Bass player couldn't do this one, so I moved over to bass, and the band leader's son covered the drums.

16. dalahorse

dalahorse

11: SBassman

I, too, am a much better drummer. But I have a good 20 extra years experience on the drums.

How'd the gig go last night?

17. sunnycal

sunnycal Supporting Member

Hey Dalahorse. I have been a hobby drummer for fun including a drum set, djembe and dumbek. A while back I saw a cheap bass for sale and bought it. I've been taking lesson and I love it. Like one of the other posters I own a couple of basses which is above my ability but hey what the heck, it's one of the advantages of being an adult. So add me to the club. By the way Dalahorse are you from Sweden?

18. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Hey can I get a number? I started playing bass because my friend wanted me to be in his band but they already had a drummer that was way better than me. I picked up a bass and hated it, kept going, got better, started to like it, band broke up. Now I'm in a new band, and we need a drummer.

19. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Wasn't Jaco a drummer before he was a bassist?

20. jimmy_trouser

jimmy_trouser

Yeah. But he ballsed up his hand while playing American football and the surgery limited his movement. Thus he switched to bass guitar, and thank Christ he did!

21. jimmy_trouser

jimmy_trouser

Yeah. He buggered up his wrist playing American football and as a result of the surgery he had restricted movement thus he turned to the bass guitar, and thank Christ he did