1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Drumming advice (for those who also play drums)???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sigying, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Sigying

Sigying

I'm planning on starting drums after christmas, but I'm not allowed an acoustic drum kit so I have to get electric drums so I can wear headphones.

Unfortunately I won't have the money for big expensive electronic drums so I have to get one of the cheaper ones, but I'm worried after reading the reviews about them.
    Would it be possible to get lessons on acoustic drums and then at home practice on drum pads?

I don't know what to do, and I really really really want to learn drums.

2. 2400

Many drummers use practice pads — which have a similar feel to a tensioned drum head — to practice their rudiments and what have you. You could also consider connecting a Midi drum pad (like the Alesis Control Pad / Percussion Pad series) to your computer. These pads perform a similar function to a practice pad, but it can produce a sound — audio feedback really helps when you're practicing keeping time.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Sticks and a practice pad and time are all you need at first. Rudiments and proper stick control is a great place to start. A snare on a stand is a good starting place as well. The best drummers I have played with were guys who started with lessons in school or with a teacher and learned that way. It’s just one way to do it but I think it’s the best. My first drum teacher said my sticks and my steering wheel in my car was good enough. He said if practiced at every red light while you drive I would be great. Meh, maybe he was wrong since I play bass now..

4. Sigying

Sigying

2400 - do you have a link for the alesis control pad / percussion pad series?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

You could buy a proper drum set and mute them with moongel or mesh heads, and use bundle sticks. You can get the volume very low indeed, while still retaining the feel (or close to it) of playing on real drums. Soundproofing is a lot cheaper and easier than you might think too.

Of course, if this isn't an option, I just wasted 30 seconds of your life ;)

7. Sigying

Sigying

That's awesome!!! I've been trying to talk my mum in to letting me get an acoustic kit and if she eventually says yes after I tell her this, this could be a way better option.
    I'd also rather an acoustic, cause no offence to electronic ones, the acoustic kits seem a lot more drum like and real and I would much rather acoustic than electronic.
    The only problem I'd have is finding enough space to put them :/ and the cost, can you get good but reasonably cheap drum kits?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is pretty much all you need to know.

9. mbeall

mbeall

Holy ****! You can just put anything on the web and call it what ever you want can't you? #signal_vs_noise

10. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Utterly useless information as usual, but at least you're consistent.

11. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Well that depends on what you call you cheap, I guess. Even so, even a relatively cheap set is still better than buying electronic drums, imo, and you can buy decent kits without spending that much. Good cymbals are expensive, but you can always upgrade those later, especially if you're just starting out.

12. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

I think you missed the joke

13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    [SUB]... you are SO hurtful ... ouch ouch ouch ...[/SUB]

14. Sigying

Sigying

Do you recommend any brands? and how much would "cheap" be? Because I don't have much money and probably still won't have much after christmas

15. BadJazz

BadJazz

These work great for me. Compact, easy to set up, and maybe half the volume of "real" drums. Can easily be muted for less volume.

16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Yeah come on Munji...that guy in your link is a total quack. He should be taking tips from this guy instead.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I have played drums all my life. I studied for many years.

Do what ya gotta do to get started, but no doubt there's no substitute to getting on an acoustic kit.

Electronic drums, especially low end ones, can be really disappointing, with really crappy tracking.

My advice - if you can't get an acoustic kit, get a full practice pad kit.
    At least you won't be tortured by the crappy tracking of a low end
    electronic kit.

18. Sigying

Sigying

Those actually look like they'd be amazing to play and since they're easy to pack up and store it wouldn't take up so much space all the time.
    Except when I looked at reviews people were saying that the traps cymbals aren't too great. Can you attach different cymbals AND could you attach more because on the website it doesn't have any extra cymbal stands.

19. Sigying

Sigying

Good idea, I'm now balancing out this idea with the Traps A400 idea

20. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Hey, that'th the thame guy who told uth how to find thothe firtht two fretth on the upright bathth.

21. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    One thing with those Trapps drums. They are not That much quieter
    than regular acoustic drums.