1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dual band compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baxter_x, Dec 20, 2013.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Hi,

I'm looking forward to afford myself a dual band compressor. The purpose of it would be to protect my cab. I own a SVT4 Pro with a SWR Goliath III and play a Fender Precision Deluxe V from 2003.

My issue is I really feel I need to protect my cab as I have a pretty heavy sound and feel the cab sometimes hits its limit in the lows and starts farting. I can use the EQ to prevent this, but when onstage, I just want to forget about that and feel free to play as hard as I want without thinking about it.
    So I would need to compress the lows and slightly the highs, maybe.
    That is why I'd need a dual band compressor.
    Now I'd need your advices on which pedal or rack would fit best to my needs. A rack compressor would fit better to my needs actually.

I currently use the "compressor" knob of my SVT4 Pro, but I'm aware it's just a limiter and it affects too much the dynamic of my playing.

Thanx
  2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

A fea labs dual will work well but the wait is about a year.

I use a rane dc24 and it works really well.

U can also use a high pass filter like a microthumpinator. I use one and I love it. Nothing lower than 30 hz gets to the cab.
  3. rtav

rtav

Old Trace Elliot SMX Compressor - dual band foot pedal. You can sometimes find them for sale for about $100 - $120.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Rane has your name all over it. Watch ebay for a while, and you'll find one in good shape at a good price. Be sure that the seller says in writing that it works perfectly and comes with the proper power cord.
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

You guys confirmed the Rane was for me. I was aiming for that device.
    Now I need to find a place where I could buy it ;) I live in France.
  6. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I bought one based upon Bongo's review and love it. I'm kind of a compressor junky (and preamp). My all time favorite is the Symmetrix 525, but for dual band, it's the Rane. There is a slight learning curve, but their documentation is great. I think you'll be very happy with it.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is possible that Rane could sell you a brand new power supply for your region. That way you could buy the comp itself from anywhere else. The power supply cord connects to the Rane with a special plug that looks like a telephone or ethernet plug.