Dual band compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baxter_x, Dec 20, 2013.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Hi,

I'm looking forward to afford myself a dual band compressor. The purpose of it would be to protect my cab. I own a SVT4 Pro with a SWR Goliath III and play a Fender Precision Deluxe V from 2003.

My issue is I really feel I need to protect my cab as I have a pretty heavy sound and feel the cab sometimes hits its limit in the lows and starts farting. I can use the EQ to prevent this, but when onstage, I just want to forget about that and feel free to play as hard as I want without thinking about it.
    So I would need to compress the lows and slightly the highs, maybe.
    That is why I'd need a dual band compressor.
    Now I'd need your advices on which pedal or rack would fit best to my needs. A rack compressor would fit better to my needs actually.

I currently use the "compressor" knob of my SVT4 Pro, but I'm aware it's just a limiter and it affects too much the dynamic of my playing.

Thanx

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

A fea labs dual will work well but the wait is about a year.

I use a rane dc24 and it works really well.

U can also use a high pass filter like a microthumpinator. I use one and I love it. Nothing lower than 30 hz gets to the cab.

3. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Old Trace Elliot SMX Compressor - dual band foot pedal. You can sometimes find them for sale for about $100 - $120.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Rane has your name all over it. Watch ebay for a while, and you'll find one in good shape at a good price. Be sure that the seller says in writing that it works perfectly and comes with the proper power cord.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baxter_x

baxter_x

You guys confirmed the Rane was for me. I was aiming for that device.
    Now I need to find a place where I could buy it ;) I live in France.

7. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I bought one based upon Bongo's review and love it. I'm kind of a compressor junky (and preamp). My all time favorite is the Symmetrix 525, but for dual band, it's the Rane. There is a slight learning curve, but their documentation is great. I think you'll be very happy with it.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is possible that Rane could sell you a brand new power supply for your region. That way you could buy the comp itself from anywhere else. The power supply cord connects to the Rane with a special plug that looks like a telephone or ethernet plug.