1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dual Builds in Padouk

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pedrodelawasp, Feb 23, 2014.

1. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I am currently in the throws of a dual build - A Thunderbird/Jazz inspired bass alongside a Telecaster/Rickenbacker inspired guitar - see: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/telebacker-guitar-1043609/

I lost a lot of my progress pictures up to this point, but the following are what I was able to recover from a damaged micro SD card:

[​IMG]

The blank I got was a little over 2" thick, so I had a friend run it through a bandsaw allowing me a nice top as well as a body

[​IMG]

Glued and clamped

[​IMG]

Rough cuts and some hardware. The guitar has a Padouk top over... ? ... It's a sandwich of two cutting boards! The grain is nice and Ash-like, but I would guess rubberwood would be more likely

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/sho...ctangular-chopping-board.html?hnav=4294893427

Two of those
  2. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

3. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

4. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

5. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

Ummm, why is there a hole (where the control plate should be) through the body on the bass?
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

It was going to be rear route, but then the router attacked, threw the bit at me and gave up the ghost. Also, there was some nasty tear out, so I decided to put the plate on there and will make a cover for the back.

Was the ummm really necessary? ;)
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Just a tip, when installing a router bit in the collet, do not bottom it out before you tighten it. It naturally pulls the bit down when tightening, so if you already have it bottomed out you can't really tighten it completely.

I have only had one router spit a bit on me, and that was the reason.
  8. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Thanks for the advice. My aim is to keep building guitars and basses and improve with each project, so keep the hints and tips, and constructive criticism coming guys and gals.
  9. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

The ummm was just me thinking. But now we know. **** happens when learning stuff and you have to improv sometimes. I'm still bummed up about my latest fretboad being 1 mm off to the side of the neck at the body end. And it's on a through neck :/
  10. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I certainly have had to improvise, that's why I've got so much glue/wood dust mix around the neck pocket as routing that was a mess! I think a mix of more practice, a better router, MUCH more patience, some more practice and making templates is in order.
  11. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

This is the guitar with the bits and bobs sat on it.

[​IMG]

It still needs some shaping to the left as you look at the picture. It will go a little more offset at the waist, I reckon.
  12. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Here are a few more shots of the bass prior to fine sanding and finishing. I made a template for a pickguard idea, but I'm not sure it works very well... It would be a BWB guard if I did go for it.

Here's the pics anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I tried out another pickguard idea and rough-cut it from a blank. I think this works a lot better than the larger design I made in paper. I'm a big fan of the First Act Delgada bass and the LTD Phoenix, so those inspired this shape.

[​IMG]
  14. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Quick, gratuitous shot of the two projects having a test fitting

[​IMG]
  15. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Here's the guitar after its first coat of oil:

[​IMG]

Here's a crappy picture of the bass:

[​IMG]
  16. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Note the untreated piece to the side to show contrast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll need to wait for some decent weather and get good outdoor shots. It is a lot more burgundy/sg style red in person
  17. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

The bass is wired up and playing beautifully. Really chuffed with it. I've placed the strap button between the neck bolts and it balances nicely.

The guitar needs a little more work on the electrical side, but couldn't resist stringing it up :p

[​IMG]