1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dual P Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hosebass, Feb 27, 2014.

1. hosebass

hosebass Gold Supporting Member

Hi

I want to add an additional P Pickup in the bridge position on my bass.
    But the question is, Where? Does anyone have dimension they can share with me? I see many basses in the Dual P Club, but no dimensions

I was wondering if the E&A pole pieces from the additional P pickup would be in the same position as a Jazz Bass Bridge pickup.

Yes, I understand there are two position a Jazz pickup can be on a Bass (60's or 70's) But what have people done?

I want to leave the (neck) PU in its original position and add the bridge.

Any insight would be appreciated

Mucho Thanks

Hosebass

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

I did this many years ago on my very first bass. I made the mistake of installing the bridge P in the same orientation as the original (E/A side further from the bridge than D/G side).

I have come to dislike the split P pickup for this reason, and now only use soapbars or J-style single coils. But if you're intent on using another split P, then I strongly suggest you install it in reversed configuration, with the E/A side closer to the bridge than the D/G side. This will tighten up the lower notes, and keep the higher strings from sounding too twangy.

Here's a pic snagged from Google:

[​IMG]

3. hosebass

Thanks for the prompt reply and information.

I agree with you suggestion of the Bridge P being reversed. My concern is how far is the bridge pickup from the 12th fret or center line of the neck P pickup.

I noticed many basses with dual P's that have different distances between the 2 pickups.

When you installed your p bridge pickup, where and what measurements did you use?

Thank you!

Hosebass

4. ctmullins

I just eyeballed it. An exact measurement isn't necessary; just use the general guideline of "the closer to the bridge, the brighter the tone".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Beej

Beej

If you want to test it out in different positions, you can wire it in, and then place it on a little simple jig that suspends the pickup above the strings. You can then move it around and see what tones you like best. A strip of wood to mount it on, plus small blocks on either end will make a simple jig...

7. hosebass

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. But I am sure that manufacturers like Fender , B.Rich and Warwick used some type of a measurements to calculate the position of the rear pickup.

But, Ill have to research the jig idea.

8. ctmullins

I'm sure that those manufacturers maintain precise measurements for the purpose of manufacturing consistency (repeatability).

But I'm also quite sure that those manufacturers did not use mathematical formulas to determine the pickup placement during the design phase. Others may disagree.