dubstep and pedal woes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

I'm trying to figure out exactly which pedals I need for the sound I want without getting the expensive ones because that's what everyone else uses. i.e. getting a simple fuzz rather than a top of the line distortion.

I've gone through a few purchases and trades that looking back I think I had what I needed but not the full knowledge to realize it. Here's my situation:

Doing some dubstep type stuff with my band. I bought a BEF Pro at a decent price on here, found it too complicated and couldn't get what I was looking for out of it. Sold it.
    Thought I needed the MBD instead so I got that. Have a wired hot hand ring now and the two have been working alright so far, but I need more.
    As it turns out, if I'm right, - Should have kept the BEF Pro and just used a normal distortion pedal with it.
    The problem was I didn't have my ring at the time of owning the BEF, so it didn't occur to me to combine things and try it out.

Long story short, I feel completely stupid, realize what I need now, and want some suggestions as to what will work for my budget.

Need: Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter; HH3 or somehow get a Midi-Exp; BEF.
    Have: MBD, Wired HH.

Thinking of selling the MBD and a couple other pedals I don't use, plus some cash for the above. (BEF + Big Muff + PS-5 + HH3 = close enough to Nathan Navarro-ness?
    Will the BEF be fine with a standard distortion or do I need my MBD because it can accept a HH?

Thank you so much for input!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

You don't need the MWBD - you can use any distortion or fuzz that you like and get the wobble sound.

A Big Muff or variant would work, but I'd probably go for something with a harsher/less mid scooped tone.

3. avvie

avvie

Oh boy I love this stuff.

Yeah, shoulda kept that filter with a HotHand. As for the Navarro sound, what you listed is basically it... plus an octave.

Synth bass is basically distortion + octave + envelope filter which mimics an LFO. Navarro also incorporates the pitch shifter which was once controlled by the no-longer-available Source Audio MIDI EXpression pedal. The expression function is now controlled by the H3.

The reason you need the HH is to control the envelope filter... this is where your wubs are coming from. It won't do much for you with the MWBD. You also won't get much synth wub without the distortion and octave.
    YOU WILL ALSO NEED a bass with a strong signal. This can be an active pickup system OR a compressor in front of your third-party synth pedal. Or better yet, both.

If you get the H3 then you have the option of controlling either the SA BEF OR a third party synth pedal such as the SYB-5 from Boss or the dirt cheap knockoff, the Behringer BSY-600. Neither of those pedals track very well but they'll get you where you're trying to go quickly and have the octave built in as part of their patches. Your H3 can control both the SA and the other pedal at the same time, but's it's a real PITA.

Seeke ye the Organic Bass Wobble group on Facebook. Way back somewhere in the first couple of months opf it Nathan lists his gear for the Pinn Pannelle video.

4. avvie

avvie

:help:Con't:

My setup has both options:

Compressor-->Synth pedal + HotHand 3

or

Octave--->Distortion-->Source Audio BEF

It's two different types of synth bass options but either one can be wobbly.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Thank you so much, avvie you gave pretty much the perfect answer! I'll check out that FB group.
    Once I get the cash I'll be ordering a HH3; Boss PS-5; and a BEF then! :hyper: