1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Dubstep" bass wobble: how?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zakwolf, Jan 9, 2014.

1. zakwolf

zakwolf

Hi there fellows!
    Nu question for you guys! Used the search button, will discuss later.
    So basically I'm a big fan of a YouTube singer nicknamed Veela, and one of my fav tracks is "Offering", beat by Captain Panic( http://youtu.be/Cm3cOOy4qOw ), and if you listen to it, you'll notice that most of the song is a throbbing bass drop(the note is an F# I think). Now, I know it's a synth, but to make that sound live which pedals should I use? My ear tells me that it's a bass fed into a distortion fed into a wah fed into a tremolo, but I'm not sure, and anyway which pedals should I use?
    Search button led me to Hot Hand, which I don't like the sound of, and to Ableton, with which I'm experimenting but the latency is too high.
    Thanks and, as always, you're all great!
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I know that one band muse did a dubstep album, fans of them should be able to chime in.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Wobble bass is usually created on a synthesizer by modulating a filter with an LFO (low frequency oscillator).

To duplicate on a bass guitar you would need some sort of filter pedal with an LFO. Most filter pedals have only envelope following, I personally don't know of one with an LFO.

Wahs are just filters controlled manually rather than by an envelope or LFO. So if you just wiggled a wah fast enough you'd get close ;)

Seriously, you might as well just buy a cheap synth to play wobbles :bag:
  4. zakwolf

zakwolf

Yeah, the 2nd law...never listened to it, even though I know Wolstenholme is loaded with effects :v
  5. zakwolf

zakwolf

Well, I think the wah is not wiggled that fast, it sounds like because of the tremolo, like in Wake Up by RATM...anyway, what is an LFO? A synthesizer? Annnnd...would a Digitech Bass Synth Wah or Boss SYB or something like that cut it? (plus distortion, ofc)
  6. Dug2

Dug2

its called a hot hand
  7. ncapone

ncapone

An LFO is a component used in most synthesizers that can be set to modulate any particular aspect of the sound. In dubstep bass, it's used to modulate pitch.

To replicate it on electric bass, get a digital pitch bend pedal that allows you to set the bend rate at 2 semitones. That's about the average bend rate used on the LFOs in dubstep.
  8. Dug2

Dug2

9. Skindie

Skindie

The source audio bef pro has a lfo and you can do some quite nice wobbly things with that and a bit of dirt. If you're feeling really adventurous you can even have an lfo running at the same time as using an EP on it! :thumbup:
  10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  11. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

12. jking138

jking138

A behringer BSY-600 does a good 'all in one' wobble, a tremolo is another alternative (coupled with a filter and maybe fuzz). A pitch bender, like a boss pitchshift with an expression pedal or Whammy pedal will give you a controllable sweep, sounds good with a trem after. Also a Zoom B3 would give you a lot of options, I've had some great success with dubstep/wobble bass sounds.
    These videos helped me a lot, this guy plays live dubstep and uses several different techniques to create different wobbles.
  13. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

I am very interested in this topic. Has anyone used jamup for live dubstep or any other ios apps? I plan on exploring this when I get home.
  14. Icculus

Icculus

Source Audio BEF and Hot Hand
  15. Dug2

Dug2

right on, and another spector bass
  16. Yurtra

Yurtra

There are lots of different approaches you can take to replicating electronica bass tones. The majority will involve a pedal capable of producing an octave down.

From there you will probably want to experiment with various types of dirt (gated and non-gated fuzz, bitcrushing, synth-y waveforms, etc.) as well as some kind of low-pass filter to either fatten up the signal (if you plan on playing dub or dub-influenced music), provide some vocal modulation/sweeps, or to allow for LFO-controlled wobble bass (the key to playing a lot of dubstep). The LFO wobble can be replicated somewhat by using tremolo--but be aware that this is amplitude modulation and, while useful in electronic contexts, is not the most common way of getting the wobble bass sound.

Adding a sample rate reducer or ring modulator after a modulating/swept filter is a great way to get formant ( pronounced "talking bass") sounds. You could also try bitcrushing at this stage to get some of the harsher bass sounds common in some electronica subgenres. Adding a bit of modulation in the form of chorus, phaser, flanger, etc. can also help fatten up things quite a bit and give a bit of life to an electronica-inspired bass part. Same goes for slight amounts of delay and reverb.

Here's a quick example (it's the last example in the clip) I recorded of an electronica-inspired bass sound that uses an octave down (with a synth-y waveform for dirt), a low-pass filter and, finally, some tremolo. I then throw on a chorus effect to demonstrate its application in fattening up synthy bass parts:

Bear in mind that electronica (dubstep included) is a very diverse genre. You could easily get away with just an octave down and a low-pass filter to play huge-sounding dub and more dub-leaning dubstep lines. My advice would be that you learn as much as you can about different forms of signal processing, try out a few different effects and effect combinations, and then try crafting your own sounds to go with some of the bread-and-butter electronica tones. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  17. zakwolf

zakwolf

...in the first post, I said I do not like how the HH sounds. I've already seen ALL of those videos. Sounds like an overpriced toy.
  18. Veldar

Veldar

[​IMG]
  19. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Wanting to do Dubstep, yet calls the single best tool to create Dubstep wobbles with bass a toy... Good luck on your perilous journey, sir
  20. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    There are 2 issues here that are getting confused.

1) How am I creating the synthy filter sound? This is mainly done using a synth pedal, a distortion pedal, and a moving filter pedal. (there are other options, but this is the one that seems to be the most common.) Source Audio pedal are only one of many good options for solving this part of the problem.

2) How am I controlling the movement of the filter? If you are OK with the sound of a fixed oscillator, then use the LFO to drive your filter. If you are ok with the limited action that a mechanical expression pedal gives you, then go for it. If you want to mix varying filter movements, then you will need to use something like Hot Hand or program a pattern into Ableton. Hot Hand is NOT a sound. Hot Hand is a device for moving filters in ways that are more organic than an LFO and faster than what you can do. Hot Hand is popular for creating organic dubstep wobbles, because there is no other clear and easy way to do it while playing an instrument.

I hope this makes things more clear and not the other way around!