Duff Mckagan? Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RSJ4STRING, Jun 29, 2009.

1. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Mckagan is probably one of my favorite rock bassists. lets discuss.:)
  2. jaywa

jaywa

Well, he's able to co-exist with Axl. That's something not a lot of people can do.

And, at least in the early GNR days, he managed to get pretty good tone out of a rather unconventional set-up (passive bass, pick, and solid state amp).

I always thought his time was kinda suspect although a lot of that is based on Appetite for Destruction which IIRC they did with their old drummer whose time was just terrible. So in that situation there's only so much you can do.
  3. benrhodes

benrhodes

he inspired me to play bass. he's a very solid rock bassist and was perfect for GN'R. he's a great example of how to play for the song in a rock context, but still do more than ride the root.
  4. jaywa

jaywa

I'm not fond of "Sweet Child O Mine" but I do like the bass line (if that's possible). Always kind of reminded me of something you'd hear in an old Rod Stewart tune or something.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skidrawk

skidrawk Supporting Member

This is actually what I like about AFD. The drumming was rock n roll.
  7. becker4567

becker4567

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the drummer was just awful, and as a result, Duff's bass playing sounded, well, a bit odd and a bit off. But later stuff sounded good and solid (especially the Velvet Revolver tracks). I saw G & R in concert twice and they put on a great show!
  8. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Wow, weird. I thought Adler's drumming was one of the best parts of AfD, and was greatly missed on the subsequent stuff.

As far as Duff, I always liked him, being a child of the 80s. Dug his tone, and you could actually hear BASS LINES in popular music. Win-win all 'round. Greatest? Nah. But bless him for what he did.
  9. jaywa

jaywa

Yeah, once they brought on Matt Sorum as their drummer, he and Duff made a nice little hard rock rhythm section together.
  10. Darko74

Darko74

I prefered Adlers drumming too.

11. Qvist

Qvist

Haha, it's funny, I can't really hear that AFD should be off-time at places, I guess I'm a bad musician... I know for sure that it's one of my favorite records, and it works for a whole lot of people.

Duff rules!!
  12. KPAX

KPAX

For me, his lines and tone were the most interesting aspect of GNR.

13. jaywa

jaywa

Slash, also, is rhythmically suspect... a serious case of the "rushies" as many lead guitarists have... so when you had him, Duff and Adler all doing their own thing on AfD it definitely was loosey-goosey thing but somehow it managed to work.

Can't argue with success, I guess, but for me I've always preferred to hear the bass and drums locked-in a little tighter.
  14. BassScum

BassScum Supporting Member

Actually he isn't able to co-exist with Axl.

I liked him with Adler or Sorum. Probably Adler just a little more (raw unpolished sound). I think he has great basslines and tone, cuts through well.
  15. infamusblkdeath

infamusblkdeath

yeah,for his limited set-up,and not practicing much(from what i hear,he doesn't)he is a pretty good bassist.of course,slap fanatics around here diss the crap out of him and say he "sucks",cause anyone that doesn't slap,to them "sucks"
    :rollno:
  16. jaywa

jaywa

Oops you're right. Good call, my bad. Somebody else did Chinese Democracy.

I can't even imagine going from one band with Axl to another band with Weiland. "Appetite for Dysfunction"?
  17. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

He's great. He's probably the biggest reason I play bass- his sound on AFD is too awesome. I also like Adler because he's so raw- it accentuates that bluesy shuffle throughout the album The Stones have a similar sound, particularly their earlier stuff- everyone is just a bit off, which creates a different "bar feel" to everything. I think the whole thing is great, particularly Duff.
  18. ryco

ryco

He's a good guy and a true rock 'n roll spirit! He lived the life for real!

Interesting he just earned a degree in finance a couple of years ago from Seattle U, which is not an easy school!
    More interesting to me is down off the other end of Broadway, Capital Hill, Seattle is Cornish School of the Arts.. I kinda wonder why he didn't investigate things over there. GREAT school - had Gary Peacock teaching there in the '70s for instance.

Also why once in the LA studio circles he didn't watch, learn and study his ass off with the pros.
    What a cool opportunity to be on the inside and really learn your craft!
    I've always wondered why Nikki didn't take the same advantages?

I'm glad he took courses to watch over his financial concerns, why not invest in musical concerns as well. Not judging at all, just asking what's important...

Anyway, liked his GnR/ VR stuff just fine!
  19. Sartori

Sartori

I like Duff. Underrated but very solid bassist who impressed without being showoffy.
  20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    GN'R was my favorite group growing up, so Duff's had a decent impact on my tone goals.

I disagree that AFD was a loose album, I've always considered it to be fairly solid. They had a lot more swing on the album, but I don't define swing as loose, so long as they're consistent. I too prefer Adler to Sorum, even though Sorum was present on my favorite albums.

The only "painful" moment I recall from early recorded GN'R is the little pentatonic fill that Duff does in Mama Kin off the Lies CD, which was a live recording.
  21. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Any man that can drink a gallon of vodka/day and live gets props from me. Love that AFD tone as well.