1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Duff Signature vs American Special Jazz Bass Nota

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Argonot, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Argonot

Argonot

Hi there. I have a dilemma about some Fender basses.

Yesterday I played an American Special Jazz Bass and I really liked the sound. Nevertheless, I'd like to buy a Fender with a Pbass + Jazz pickup configuration, since I need all the versatility I can get. The one which most attracted my attention, in terms of wood, construction, and p-configuration, was the Duff Mc Kagan signature (it looks awesome too).

Since both basses are on the same price range, I'd like to know which one's a better option in every aspect. I'm not gonna spend more than 800 or 900 bucks on it, so, comments like "save some more and buy another one" wont be really useful.

I know Duff's mexican and, of course, the special I'm talking about is american. That's one of the reasons I'm doubting about going for the McKagans one. Besides, I cant go to try a Duff one's to establish a comparison either, since it's not easy to find one in my country (I'd have to buy it through amazon or so)

Thanks for your time and your opinions.
  2. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Having both MIM and MIA Fenders (along with an MIJ, and some Squiers as well), I personally don't see anything wrong with the sig basses coming out of the Mexico factory. From what I've seen they're a notch up on the QC that you find on the Standard line. Then again, I also haven't been too impressed with the Am Specials that I've tried in the past ( FWIW, it's only been AM Spec Pbasses that I've tried).

If you like the feel of the Jazz (as far as body style and whatnot) but want the P/J setup, you also might consider the Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz (which is also MIM).
    I haven't tried out the Reggie, but I've heard good things about it. There's an RH owners club on TB that you could solicit opinions from as well if the bass piques your interest.
  3. atomicdog

atomicdog

If you like the looks of the Duff bass, it's a killer axe, great sound, especially for mids.
  4. Argonot

Argonot

Hey, thanks for answering! That Reggie Hamilton's very interesting!
  5. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

the MIM's are made in mexico by mexicans, the MIA's are made in america by mexicans.
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I have an original 85 Jazz Special (Duff bass) and love it. Its got a very unique tone. Lots of mids

Heres a recording from practice one night. 85 Jazz Special, DR Hi Beams, GK800rb GL Neo 212

https://soundcloud.com/adamr78/withme
  7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I know this sounds odd.. But everything I've played that was MIM had a good soul to it, can't explain it, they feel good to me!
  8. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

I think it would definitely meet your needs of flexibility with the 3 band EQ and D-Tuner coming on it stock. That is if you like active basses (and if the eq is decent, like I said, I haven't had a chance to give this a shot).

I'm actually planning to take my Squier P/J VM Jag Special and replace the 'active boost' with a setup similar to the McKagan sig - vol, vol, 3 way pup selector switch, & TBX tone control. Mainly for giggles, but I hate having to change batteries.. :p
  9. BBass06

BBass06

+1 on the Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz, the one I played was very nice.
  10. Hilton Marsh

Hilton Marsh

Go with what you know and that's the MIA Jazz. Buy a white one and vinyl wrap the headstock in black if that is the look you like.
  11. bobba66

bobba66

Maybe take a look at the Tony Franklin sig. Pretty sweet.