1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

dUg Pinnick, "Pray"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by avvie, Aug 24, 2013.

1. avvie

avvie

In this video dUg uses a 12-string bass. Okay, so octavers and pitch shifters can do a really bad fake of that, but what else do you hear in his intro and verses?...overdrive with something swishy...possibly a Bassballs?

Tuning is drop C for whomever cares. I just got my B3 in the mail today and I'd like to make a patch for this but it would be in conjunction with my analog pedals.

2. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

There was an interview a few yers ago that explained this. Basically, he splits his signal between clean and distorted tones. He used an auto wah with the distorted side. That along with a 12 string bass, will get you in the ball park.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He's got a really wild setup. Not only does he do clean/dirty rigs, he also uses two 31 band EQ's, turns the mids and highs all the way down on the clean side, and turns the lows all the way down on the dirt side.

Seen them a couple times in a bar that holds about 700-800 people. Back then, dUg used two SVT's and two Fender Dual Showmans into FOUR 810e's!

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

You have to be a lefty too! It sounds like a clean/ dirty mix, as stated above with a wah and a harmonizer (assuming you don't have a 12 string)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Max6768

Max6768

It's a Guyatone auto wah

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I saw them in a local club that stands about 300 capacity (no seats in this place) back on the Dogman tour. He brought his full stadium rig inside that little place: 9 SVT cabs laying sideways stacked 3-high, and a Marshall 1/2 stack guitar amp for the distortion. Can you saw wow!

His clean/dirty has always been an inspiration to me. I don't use a 12 string, but I do use a Micro POG for when I want that sound. My way of doing an elaborate rig is with two bass amps and a Lehle splitter; before the splitter is my wah and chorus pedals. After the splitter, on side A is my Micro POG octaver and the 810 gets that signal. And then on side B is my dist pedal going to a 212.
    I don't always get to do this, but I like the sound best with two amps. When I try running it all into one cab like at most clubs, it sounds like doo doo.

8. avvie

avvie

I agree that multiple amps is the way to go. I know the guitar sound is designed that way, and trying to dupe it with one amp just isn't working...the frequencies clash hard.

9. superbob67

superbob67

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amps, Schecter Basses, DR String, Traynor Amps, Tech 21 NYC, Access Cases, HoTone Pedals
    Another approach to getting that kind of "mixed" tone is to run your signal into a crossover before it hits your rig. Hi's into a distorted amp, Low's into something more solid and clean.