Dumb P-Bass PU Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dtripoli, Dec 8, 2012.

1. dtripoli

dtripoli

I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake.
    The split pickups are both exactly the same?
    Does it matter which half goes with the E-A string and which goes with the D-G string?
    Does it matter which direction the pickups are orientated?

back story:
    I rewired my P-Bass and when I removed the pickups, I noticed the wire leads were on the E string side, then ran under the pickups to the cavity. I thought that was wrong so I turned the pickups 180 degrees so the wire leads ran directly to the cavity.
    In doing this I noticed the poles don't line up directly under the strings.

Attached Files:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Shouldn't matter. As long as it sounds the same, I wouldn't worry about it. And lining up strings over the pole pieces is overrated. They just have to be surging the magnetic field created by the pole pieces.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The pickup is symmetrical, so turning it 180 degrees shouldn't matter.

What's going on there is the neck is slightly shifted it its pocket. Just loosen the strings a little, and then loosen the four neck screws a few turns, and then with the bass in your lap in playing position, push the neck down towards the floor. You should see the strings shift to the right slightly. Now tighten the neck screws and tune the bass back up.

This is a common issue with Fender basses.

Also, it doesn't matter is the strings are not directly between the poles on those pickups.
  4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Got it. I'll do the neck realignment trick.
    I thought maybe the new bridge I put on might have skewed the alignment.
    The bridge matched up perfectly with the 6 holes from the stock bridge. Although I did have to drill 2 more holes as the replacement had 2 added screws at the top of the plate.
  5. Register to disable this ad