Dumb question-truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KramerDon, Mar 6, 2014.

1. KramerDon

KramerDon

Sorry for such a basic question but my bass for over 30 years doesn't have a truss rod(Kramer 650B)so I've never adjusted one.I'm just finishing a 5 string built around a Carvin thru neck.I've strung it up and it plays okay but I'd like to see if I can get the action a little lower.
    Do you adjust the truss rod with string tension? or do you have to release the string tension,adjust the truss rod then retune the strings and repeat till you're happy?Thanks very much for any advice!!

2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

You release tension, but you don't mess with the truss rod for your action. You adjust your neck for relief.

3. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

I've always adjusted mine with the strings at tension, short of the string or two not under tension required for accessing the truss rod in the first place.

Loosen any strings blocking access to either truss rod cover screws and truss rod nut, enough to lift them and move them out of the way.

Before turning the nut in the clockwise direction (lower action, flatter neck), turn it in the counter-clockwise direction to release the initial tension it's under. Turn only a 1/4, maybe a 1/2 turn at a time, retune and let it settle in a day or two before making further adjustments. You may mark the initial position with a pencil if it helps.

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I adjust with the strings at pitch. I also tweak the truss rod - neck thru Grecko/Ibanez G88 - as needed to set my action. My saddles are intonated and don't move . The neck does move throughout the year and I re-set it as needed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KramerDon

KramerDon

It's a thru neck,I don't think there's any relief adjustment if I'm understanding correctly?

Thanks for the help/advice everyone!!!

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Relief adjustment IS with the trussrod-
    remaining string height adjustment is with saddles.
    Bunch of setup threads on here for info/ definitions, and clear how-to's.

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Edit:
    Relief adjustment IS done with the trussrod-
    remaining string height adjustment is with saddles.
    Bunch of setup threads on here for info/ definitions, and clear how-to's.
    And FWIW (MO, ....), I'd release the sting tension on the neck by 'detuning' or 'helping' the trussrod adjustment
    by bracing and pushing/pulling on the neck to
    avoid the possibility of a 'stuck' trussrod nut.
    (dang time-outs)