dumb question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frankenbass2014, Feb 6, 2014.

1. frankenbass2014

frankenbass2014

ok. so i bought some new soapbar humbuckers from a guy on ebay, and he claims they are ibanez. i asked him if they were active or passive, and he couldnt remember. the only markings on them is a small sticker on the back that has RoHS. they are only single wire pups (a shielded wire inside the net style wire with more shielding around it all, if you get my descrption). one pickups wire is red,the other is black. all that may be useful in my question, which is HOW CAN I TELL IF THEY ARE PASSIVE OR ACTIVE. ive never dealt with this situation before (i usually buy from stew mac, and i know 100% what im buying). and yes, im facepalming big time lol. im learning my lesson the hard way. :help: any help will be greatly appreciated

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

No battery wire, so they are passive.

3. car_man65

car_man65

Ibanez pickups are not powered, the preamp is powered, so they could easily be ibanez.

4. frankenbass2014

frankenbass2014

good enough info for me. thanks guys :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Measure the resistance- higher than 8k ohms will be passive,
    actives are really low resistance (if the meter even settles).
    Ibanez made active pickups, also (shield/ black/red)- usually with a 'A' leading the model #:
    ADX5 vs DX5, or AFRJ vs PFRJ.
    Sometimes the model # may have been removed from used pickups.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    If there is no battery wire and the singular cable coming out is just a hot and a shield, it's 100% passive.