1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dumbest/strangest reason for buying a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DannyNFLD, Nov 30, 2012.

1. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Any of yall make any big impulse buys on basses for either dumb or strange reasons?

For example, I want a fireglo Ric.... because it looked bad ass in Scott Pilgrim. :bassist: I have a movie poster with him playing on it.

I've never played a Ric, I don't know what they sound like (other than my old Rush and Yes albums). I just think it would be sweet to have the same bass that's in a movie poster that's hanging on my wall.

Senseless consumerism to fill a void in my soul? Sure!
  2. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Shut up DannyNFLD, there's no dumb reason for buying a bass! Everything is subjective! Everyone has their reasons! Who are you to judge a reason! If it makes you happy why not! ect ect ect

^Now that I got that out of the way, lets admit to some goofy stuff.
  3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

You would be about the eleven billionth person to buy a Ric because of looks.
  4. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

I want a Steve Hariss Sig bass due to hero worship...and a Geddy Lee as well...aloot of people on this board would make fun of me for that....but I don't care
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I really want this. And I would rock it all night. I want it because I likes me some Cap'n Crunch!

Attached Files:

6. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

hahaha great thread idea.

i bought a Squier Jazz bass one night because my battery was dead in my cort and some guy wouldn't just let me borrow his bass... but he sold it to me for $100 including the case. Methinks it may have been hot...
  7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Ha! My first time to see this one. So, I guess you're supposed to play the Captain Crunch bass with heavy distortion.
  8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I bought my first EBMM SR5 just because I liked the finish. Never played one in my life, but bought a limited edition Blue Dawn. Drove all the way down to Maryland (4 hour drive each way) It's the second from the left...
    [​IMG]
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Make no mistake. Let him sit in the milk a few minutes and the Cap'n can get smooth.
  10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Look up the Scott Pilgrim thread here on TB, I think the reality is, IIRC, something strange like the actual bass tracks were recorded by different instruments- the track that underlies the Ric in the film was actually a Mustang (or some short scale), while the *other* bass was actually a Ric!

Also, turns out a lot of classic Rush album tracks were actually recorded with a Fender Jazz, but maybe some of the 1000's of TB'ers who are deeply up on these details will chime in with specifics.

Not to dissuade you from getting a Ric, but just to try and provide a better context.
  11. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

That's a beautiful collection!
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Ugh. I don't like soggy cereal. (Uh oh... Is there a TB policy on breakfast cereal preferences?) Gotta eat it within the first minute.
  13. bigalbass

bigalbass

As someone afflicted with GAS, I guess the worst reason I have ever used to buy a bass was that I convinced myself that I would practice more.
  14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Nope. I want the Steve Harris sig for the same reason. I'll skip the Geddy and replace it with a Pete Wentz Squier. (just kidding, but get the popcorn out just in case, this thread is gonna get stupid fast)
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Ok, here's mine which is in the midst as we speak (err... type). Last Friday, Nov 23, (Black Friday), I purchased 2 items: 1) Warwick-Rockbass Alien 6 and 2) Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst). My wife is reluctantly aware that I bought these items as I convinced her I would never see prices like that again. She just knew I bought a bass and a guitar: hadn't shared any details, brand, etc.

The LP shipped that day. The Alien 6, as it turns out, will be delayed in until March 2013, apparently due to an overwhelming number of orders for the Alien 6. My wife does not know about this order's delay, so I made another purchase of the same amount I told her it cost. This time I ordered a Ken Smith Burner 6 (blemished) from zZounds for $750. I also bought a B-stock Kala U-Bass SUB from evilBay for about $350. I plan to tell her the company gave it to me free with my purchase. What do you think? Believable or no? lol :p
  16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I don't need the sig. I just want to have their musicianship magically transferred to me.
  17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That wouldn't be so bad either.

I actually like the gaudy glitter blue paintjob. All if my basses are P's, so I really should've agreed about the Geddy, too. I could use a good Jazz bass.
  18. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I bought a bass because my brother told me I should be saving for retirement.

A few days ago he asked me how much money have I spent on gear this year. I said, "less than you spent on cigarettes."
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman

A dumb reason for buying a bass would be because it's too bright outside.
  20. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

When I was a stupid teenager my GF at the time convinced me to buy a bass because the silk on the end of the strings was purple.