1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dumbest thing I've ever been told at a gig. Ever.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by totallybacan, May 26, 2009.

1. totallybacan

totallybacan

There are two standouts that I feel i must share. The first one was when I showed up to a show with my bass, head, and cab. The soundguy looks at me and does a double take. He says "Woah buddy, we already got PA subs. I appreciate the effort though." referring to my bands Mesa 215.

The second one was unfortunately, committed by a fellow bass player. I arrived to a show where the last band was letting everyone use their equipment. Sure no problem. I get on stage and set my bass in its molded case in front of the amp. The bass player that owned the rig sees my case and suddenly freaks and says "you'll blow the amp. You have to go to the other side" He was pointing at a guitar cab. After mentioning that inside my case is a bass, he proceeds to lecture me about the difference between playing bass in rythym guitar and playing bass GUITAR. I was so agitated because even after I unpacked my equipment, he doubted it was a bass at all and I would blow his cab. :rollno:

That was my 3 minutes of ranting.
  2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

I can't top that - I don't have a single story that is better than yours.
  3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

That's pretty intense.
  4. nbw

nbw

I got curious so I had to snoop around. I assume this was your epiphone LP bass?
  5. anthowl

anthowl

was it even a 6 string? my gawd.
  6. Chickencha

Chickencha

The really silly thing about the second story is that there shouldn't be any problem playing guitar through a bass amp. You might not get the best sound, but you certainly won't blow the amp.
  7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

I actually prefer running my LP through a bass amp. I tune it down a lot though for more moody sounds.

Kinda weird. i like low guitars but brighter bass. :\
  8. totallybacan

totallybacan

Yup, creepy but correct. I always figured I would get crap form a guitarist or drummer, but never from a fellow bass player. As an additional note, he was a 6 string player which makes the whole situation seem even weirder. sigh :scowl:
  9. millsbass5

millsbass5

"UUUHHH....We can't pay you tonight."

We DID get ppppaid,by the way.
  10. Benthoven

Benthoven

Damn, you guys must be surrounded by geniuses or something, compared to some of my audiences. I was playing in an all-original jazz fusion band that was pretty kick-ass for the time, and we finished one of our most requested (and air-played) tunes, and this chick just walks up to the band and said, "Was that a REAL song, or did ya'll just make it up?"
  11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Can't really top that second one, especially considering the source, but I've hear some dumb stuff come out of people's mouths. We played a show at this one venue, and I brought by DI because it's usually the easiest thing for the sound guy that will be acceptable for me. So I set up all my stuff and the sound guy (who also had an assistant that night who he was teaching to do live sound stuff) came over and was like "woah man, this dude comes prepared." So I figured ok, he likes the set up, thats good. After he hooks it all up he grabs a mic stand with an SM57 on it and puts it in front of the amp and says to me "here I'll even put this here so it looks good but I'm not going to turn it on".

Lame.

Eventually I'm going to learn my lesson and just buy my own mic.
  12. pandakeepfit

pandakeepfit

a guitar player at a school talent show
    "do you use effects? i don't, i do all my effects just with technique"
    (delay, overdrive, envelope filter, you name it XD)

i was like *** (that was like 9 years ago)
  13. nbw

nbw

Haha, I'm the same way.

Didn't know I could run a guitar through a bass amp though.. hmm...
  14. St Drogo

St Drogo

So did you tell her "real" songs are made up too?
  15. Jason P Bass

Jason P Bass

A clearly drunk woman, much older than me, approached me before we played and said...

"Are you in the band? What kinda music do ya'll play? Is one of the other guys in the band your dad? No? You're so much younger than them. I like you. I can't wait to hear ya'll play. You're cute. I like your hair, it's just like my son's. You look just like him too. How old are you? That's the same age as my son. Oh wait, um, I'm not hitting on you..."

To which I replied, "No kidding, lady, because that would be creepy for both of us. Enjoy the show."
  16. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Ignorant people are funny... I mean the ignorant ones that run their mouths spouting fiction as though it were true. You can prove them wrong and they will still stick to their story LOL.

Thanks for sharing :)
  17. zehBOOM

zehBOOM

ahhh thats gross.. was it your mom???...

i played a show for a party after a football game once (my band is still in highschool) a guy comes up to me afterwards and asked why i was playing my guitar with my fingers
  18. dmusic148

dmusic148

People are really dumb. It's funny and sad at the same time.

I especially like the patrons who arrive during setup and ask, "So, do you guys play 'good' music, or what?" I always reply, with a straight face, "Dude, we suck. You should probably leave."
  19. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman

When I was 17, I was setting up equipment for my uncle's band in some crap hole club. It was really early (maybe 6pm) and an extremely drunk guy walks up, points at my shirt and goes, "Wow, is Nine Inch Nails playing tonight?"

I looked back at the huge sign I'd already put up with the band's name, then said, "No."
  20. topper

topper

Had a sound guy once at a show who kept asking me to turn my stage amp down. I finally turned it off (bass was running through a DI) and played the next song.

Guess what?? Then he asked me to turn it down again!!!